RIBU1C relay question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricV

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Saranac, NY
I am working on adding an Intellicon controller into my system for the oil boiler and I do not want the IntelliCon operating when I am on wood.

The scheme I have come with so far would work for me if the RIB relay can interrupt power on one circuit if another energizes? Seems opposite what relays are designed for.

So simply, can the RIB relay kill one circuit if another is energized? Or can it only connect a circuit if one is energized?

Thanks
Eric

Yes- On the output side (load side) of the relay you should have either NO (normally open) or NC (normally closed) set of contacts. So if you hook up your circuit to the NC pair of wires/contacts ( I think a RIB1UC has wire leads and not screw contacts), this means when the control coil is de-energized the circuit will be closed on the NC contacts (wireleads). The NO or NC contacts are the position those contacts will be in when there is NO power energizing the coil. Make sense? If not I will try to explain in a different way...

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I see it now. I ordered one up, thanks very much.

FYI, yes there are leads not terminals on it. Looks like a very versatile device.

Also, make sure your control circuit is connected to the proper voltage. I think that rib has 24volt or 120 volt for the control coil... Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.