Rigid liner... opinions, please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
OK, I'm installing a rigid stainless liner down an ancient brick chimney. Obviously had a brain lapse while measuring the length of it and I'm 1 pipe length (2 feet) short. With no time to order and wait for another piece of the stainless, I'm going to use one piece of black steel pipe.

The question is... would you put it on the top or at the bottom of the stack?

I'm thinking the bottom, where it wouldn't be exposed to the elements.

Hi, temporarily put it at the top, order a ss section and replace the black pipe when it comes in, it should only take a few days to get a section of pipe.

Jim

Can't do that, the pipe joint will be inaccessible... once it's in - it's in...

I would simply not put it in - it can ruin the whole deal, like the weak link in a chain. You will be ripping the thing apart within a few years anyway, so why not wait now?
Anyway, there is not "best" way if you are going to do it anyway. Just the place where it is easiest to replace soon.

I've scheduled this in and closed the business for this to happen, it can't wait.

As I wrote a few weeks ago, it's a 5" liner and parts have been a challenge to source. When I ordered them, I could not find a 5" stainless tee in stock, so the tee is steel too. But I'm not worried - in this climate steel pipe fares quite well. In fact, I dug up an old 5" connecting pipe section from the garage, from back in the late 70's, used for more than a decade and then stored... it's in great shape with no rust. I'm completely comfortable with steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.