Rika Austroflamm Integra Freestanding (I or II?) circa 2006 maintenance schedule.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What do I do with this thing?

• Scrap Metal / Yard Ornament / Kids Playhouse, you need a dealer maintainable-unit.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Matthew Fisch

Sep 7, 2012
I inherited an Integra with my house 3 years ago. It's currently of an age where it seems to be ready for more than the usual maintenance. So far all I've done is clean out the heat exchanger, ash catch, combustion motor, exhaust pipes. I've also replaced the OEM Auger motor with a sturdier aftermarket job since the gearbox attached to the first one went kaput.

There doesn't seem to be any dealer within driving range interested in servicing this thing. I don't mind doing it myself but I could use a bit of instruction. I've searched around on the web but haven't found a great thread/web resource that covers everything I'm looking for.

Looking for general knowledge on this unit from anyone who's been running it a while. No need to directly answer any/all of my questions below. I've heard these things run forever, well mine is 6 years old and needs help but the user manual is useless in this respect and I don't speak German. Anyone know if Lucky gives out tech support for these things?

[edit]
0) I always assumed this was an Integra II because it was "newer", and manufactured by Rika. Am I assuming correctly? I've seen people post pictures of the serial sticker (just like mine) and refer to it as an Integra II but I'm not really sure.
[/edit]

a)
Anyone know a really nice parts retailer who will be willing to impart knowledge and time in exchange for not nickel and diming on parts?

[if a, don't worry about the rest, I can bother the dealer]

b)
I'm pretty sure I need a new doorseal, heat exchanger gasket, ash door gasket, combustion motor housing gasket. What else am I missing?

c)
What should I grease/inspect?

d)
This this makes awful sounds when it runs, its got worse over the past 3 years but it was never great. Sounds like vibration has loosened up some parts and they're just making a racket all the time. I don't really know how to figure out what it is since I only run the thing "put together", and when I take it apart to look around the thing isn't running. Any ideas? I would think some washers / tightened bolts / heat resistant caulk would fix this all up.

e)
Starter doesn't work anymore, last year I started it using 92% isopropyl alcohol all year. Effective but I can't help thinking this is dangerous, especially considering if my timing isn't just right the house fills up with smoke. What do I need to replace there?

f)
I've seen really vague references to a remote thermostat that can be coupled with this thing. Anyone know if its just on/off or if it actually adjusts the fuel rate? I'd happily shell out for automatic operation.

[edit]
g) Don't fault me for not using the search box, I've obviously already done that; if I wanted to waste a few hours I could do that with my hands and knees crawling inside the unit and not worry about what might or might not be in this forum after a half day of reading.
I'd really love to see some links from here to the best threads, it would be great if us Integra owners could consolidate the knowledge contained in this forum.
[/edit]

integra.png
Firmware is v1.28, is there a way to get it up to v1.33 without swapping boards?

lets start with your sig. where do you live? I drive all over ne working on anything and knpw thos unit pretty well. i know austroflamme very well, rikas are the same but with different programming. you shouls be able to swap the eprom to change firmware i may be wrong with rika, the sound you are hearing may be the tangential fan bushing or auger bushing. youll need refractory gaskets, combustion amd pof gaskets, dor hasket is just glass tape.npthing on this unit requires grease, yes it os an integra 2 (by rika) and you can source most of the parts through energy parts plus.com

Im about 10 minutes from MA along the NY border -- zip 12060. Probably too far for you unless you had another gig lined up in western ma or northwest ct. That said, Id happily have someone more familiar with these machines do the work. I'm only volunteering because I figure I'll do a better job than the local guys who aren't willing to spend hours trawling the web for parts/info.

It's not pre-rika, as it says Rika on the control panel. That said, it may have been immediately after the buyout (so maybe the old model). I can't figure out when they replaced it with the new one.

I checked the firmware version because some of the adjustments in the 1.33 version seemed like something I may want to experiment with. I don't really want to get into flashing my own EEPROM -- don't have the tools, can a replacement chip be had cheaply?

The auger is def. making sounds it shouldn't, but it's bearable. Mostly its noise related to fan speed, and there's either two different things making noise, or two different resonant frequencies.

Think I'm close enough or should I attempt to build a part-list and start the work myself? I'll give you a ring early next week if the location works. I've given up finding local guys. There may be someone around who can handle these but I wouldn't know how to find them.

Any knowledge about the external thermostats?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

This threads been quiet for a few months... but I'll try anyway.

I've posted before trying to get basically some of the same info asked by Mathew, but had little results. The post here by smwilliamson about the thermostat wireing right up is somthing I'm still curious about. However, I need to backup a bit and deal with some maintenance issues first.

I'm going on 6 years with it now and no major mainenance required so far. I have done the typical vacuumning required at the beginning of each season. However, I've just started experiencing what I think is the high-temp switch triggering evertime it fires up. It too seems to make more of a racket than expected. We have hardwood floors and I think that might excentuate the sound... but even so - it seams loud even for a quiet machine. Some of the thread above seems to lean toward the idea of aftermarket things that can be done to maybe tune it up better?

I'm going to try a final full cleaning tonight and see where that gets me. I'm not happy with the flame color lately as it seems a bit oranger than it should be. After that... I might look at a full heating option replacement (ductless heat pump) if I can't get it working reliably agian. As far as service, when I looked a few years ago there was no one in the Washington State area that had a interest in servicing. In fact, the place I got it stopped carrying them. I'm not looking to spend a fortune to have someone come out and just vacumn it like I do.

Long story short... as I'm pretty much rambling at this point. I have a Rika II Freestanding just like Mathew. It's not working so great. It's been six pretty good years. If I can't come to some fairly easy resolution I'm switching off pellets and going electric. If there's any advice anyone can offer to keep this unit in better shape than what I'm doing (or if I'm missing some huge glaring detail as far as mainenance/installation) then I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: jimchaffee17
This threads been quiet for a few months... but I'll try anyway.

I've posted before trying to get basically some of the same info asked by Mathew, but had little results. The post here by smwilliamson about the thermostat wireing right up is somthing I'm still curious about. However, I need to backup a bit and deal with some maintenance issues first.

I'm going on 6 years with it now and no major mainenance required so far. I have done the typical vacuumning required at the beginning of each season. However, I've just started experiencing what I think is the high-temp switch triggering evertime it fires up. It too seems to make more of a racket than expected. We have hardwood floors and I think that might excentuate the sound... but even so - it seams loud even for a quiet machine. Some of the thread above seems to lean toward the idea of aftermarket things that can be done to maybe tune it up better?

I'm going to try a final full cleaning tonight and see where that gets me. I'm not happy with the flame color lately as it seems a bit oranger than it should be. After that... I might look at a full heating option replacement (ductless heat pump) if I can't get it working reliably agian. As far as service, when I looked a few years ago there was no one in the Washington State area that had a interest in servicing. In fact, the place I got it stopped carrying them. I'm not looking to spend a fortune to have someone come out and just vacumn it like I do.

Long story short... as I'm pretty much rambling at this point. I have a Rika II Freestanding just like Mathew. It's not working so great. It's been six pretty good years. If I can't come to some fairly easy resolution I'm switching off pellets and going electric. If there's any advice anyone can offer to keep this unit in better shape than what I'm doing (or if I'm missing some huge glaring detail as far as mainenance/installation) then I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.
I am on the 4 consecutive year of major problems with my Integra 2.
Currently, i am having the same issue as you are having.
I am brand new to this forum, im looking for help as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I have received tremendous assistance from the people at,
Mountain View Hearth and Home.
[email protected]
Nicolette is Extremely helpful.

They are a factory authorized parts dealer for Rika/Austroflamm.
They passed my last problem onto Rika, who answered me directly.
Top Shelf customer service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I inherited an Integra with my house 3 years ago. It's currently of an age where it seems to be ready for more than the usual maintenance. So far all I've done is clean out the heat exchanger, ash catch, combustion motor, exhaust pipes. I've also replaced the OEM Auger motor with a sturdier aftermarket job since the gearbox attached to the first one went kaput.

There doesn't seem to be any dealer within driving range interested in servicing this thing. I don't mind doing it myself but I could use a bit of instruction. I've searched around on the web but haven't found a great thread/web resource that covers everything I'm looking for.

Looking for general knowledge on this unit from anyone who's been running it a while. No need to directly answer any/all of my questions below. I've heard these things run forever, well mine is 6 years old and needs help but the user manual is useless in this respect and I don't speak German. Anyone know if Lucky gives out tech support for these things?

[edit]
0) I always assumed this was an Integra II because it was "newer", and manufactured by Rika. Am I assuming correctly? I've seen people post pictures of the serial sticker (just like mine) and refer to it as an Integra II but I'm not really sure.
[/edit]

a)
Anyone know a really nice parts retailer who will be willing to impart knowledge and time in exchange for not nickel and diming on parts?

[if a, don't worry about the rest, I can bother the dealer]

b)
I'm pretty sure I need a new doorseal, heat exchanger gasket, ash door gasket, combustion motor housing gasket. What else am I missing?

c)
What should I grease/inspect?

d)
This this makes awful sounds when it runs, its got worse over the past 3 years but it was never great. Sounds like vibration has loosened up some parts and they're just making a racket all the time. I don't really know how to figure out what it is since I only run the thing "put together", and when I take it apart to look around the thing isn't running. Any ideas? I would think some washers / tightened bolts / heat resistant caulk would fix this all up.

e)
Starter doesn't work anymore, last year I started it using 92% isopropyl alcohol all year. Effective but I can't help thinking this is dangerous, especially considering if my timing isn't just right the house fills up with smoke. What do I need to replace there?

f)
I've seen really vague references to a remote thermostat that can be coupled with this thing. Anyone know if its just on/off or if it actually adjusts the fuel rate? I'd happily shell out for automatic operation.

[edit]
g) Don't fault me for not using the search box, I've obviously already done that; if I wanted to waste a few hours I could do that with my hands and knees crawling inside the unit and not worry about what might or might not be in this forum after a half day of reading.
I'd really love to see some links from here to the best threads, it would be great if us Integra owners could consolidate the knowledge contained in this forum.
[/edit]

View attachment 73334
Firmware is v1.28, is there a way to get it up to v1.33 without swapping boards?

My two cents worth,
Your glass and door gaskets should last about two seasons maybe longer.

I always replace combustion motor gasket and low limit switch gasket at the end of the season before it gets put to bed Air sensor gasket on mine anyway seems to last a while it has been about 4 years but shows no signs of dryness or cracking.

Convection fan I also pull at same time as combustion motor it has no gaskets but does have a replaceable bearing on the right side. I use compressed air to clean but you need to hold fan from spinning too rapidly

Eprom, unless your well versed in electronics replace what you need to, I use Pelletstoverepair.com for all my circuit board work Joe is knowledgeable and I think reasonable and on top of that is a nice guy.and great to do business with. A few years back during a very vicious cold snap my circuit board died, I called him to say mine was coming to him for a rebuild, He in the meantime sent out a new board before he even got the old one,

I do not have an igniter but I use a little bit of lamp oil mixed in with a handful of pellets put a wooden match to it close door give it 1-2 minutes turn on stove and it is off and running so using alcohol is ok too not really dangerous.
I live in Washington county on the other end of Route 22

edit I always have at least one backup gasket of each just in case something happens mid season

Hope this helpful
Mark_ms