Ripping Out Factory Built/Replacing with Wood Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaplan

Aug 8, 2008
Ohio
I currently have a Heatilator fireplace, and want to go to something more efficient. This guy down the road has a Quadrafire 4300 Millenium for sale at $900 dollars.He's got a huge house, and is going to a bigger unit so he's willing to sell his stove quick. The current fireplace has a chase(that's what he called it) built on to the outside of the house for the chimney. Is it possible to rip out the fireplace, frame the bottom of the chase with fireproof material creating a safe area to place the stove, and then hook the stove up, and heat? The current unit has an 8 inch pipe. Am I wrong to assume that I can use the same pipe?

Thanks in advance.

Quads are good stoves and $900 seems like a good price!How old is it?used much.I think that stove uses a 6" flue pipe,dont know if going bigger would be a good idea.Im sure the stove experts here will be able to help you more.

Your going to have to consult the Quad installers guide for an alcove style install, to see if you can even get it to work. You can find that info through Quadra fire .com You CAN NOT use the fireplace chimney that is installed now, it is air cooled and is to be used with that fireplace only. You will have to install a class "A" chimney to vent the wood stv.

I've seen threads discussing chimney liners. Would that be an option, or does that chimney have to come out, and a new one go in? I have no experience with wood stoves, so I have no clue on this.'

Thanks

It's a good stv and a good price. Try to find a local dealer that has experience in pulling and replacing. With little knowledge your quickly getting in over your head. I would guess a bill approaching 2-4k depending how much chimney you need and how crazy you do the hearth

Liner is not an option, you must have class A

There are a few options. Option 1, there may be some inserts that are approved to go into the Heatilator. Option 2 might be installing a rear-exit flue stove that approves of a liner installation. We've only heard of Jotul sanctioning this. Option 3 - The Quad 4300 is a good stove. If it's in good condition, then that is a fair price. However, if you bought the Quad I believe it could require a tear out of the Heatilator and starting from scratch. The problem being that the Quad is a top vented stove. The flue outlet is too high even if a liner were a possibility which normally it is not for a zero clearance fireplace. There is also the question of whether it is sized right for the house and room.

Do you know the age and model of the Heatilator? Posting a picture of the setup may help.

The heatilator is about 7 years old. it's an ec42 model I think. This is starting to sound like a whole lot more than I expected.

If you like the look of a fireplace (since you are talking about putting the stove in an alcove where the Heatilator is), check out EPA fireplaces, or "built-in-stoves" as they are sometimes called.

Just an option to keep in mind (that I chose myself - I ripped out my Heatilator).

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.