Rocky Mountain Pellet Co.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePellethead

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2007
Southern Maine
Hey fellow PelletHeads....

Just some info on some pellets I bought. I've burned 30 bags of these so far and have about 10 left and plan to buy a few more to finish my season. They are a pine pellet and they are produced out of Colorado by the Rocky Mountain Pellet Company. This was my first time buying these pellets and also the FIRST time I seen a pellet come in a see through bag for you to see any fines that may be in there and also see the color of the pellet. Not to mention it had a handy holding handle lol. My results with these pellets have been fabulous. I probably have a lil more fly ash that builds up around my logs set than normal....BUT....absolutely NO clinker whatsoever. I have gone three days without cleaning the burnpot as it burns the pellets up nicely. Probably could go even longer but I dont like to go longer than the three days.
I bought these pellets at Home Depot in Biddeford Maine. I love the fact I can SEE what I am buying. I've enclosed a couple pics....

(the pellet pic came out a little "glowy" as I call it as I had the light on in the room...but they are a lighter pellet in better lighting)

Attachments

• pelletbag1.jpg
    pelletbag1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,063
  • pelletbag2.jpg
    pelletbag2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,033
  • pellets.jpg
    pellets.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,040
Those are made from the beetle killed pine trees in Colorado. There is several post on them here.

Wish I could get them here in CT.

jay

I also bought these pellets at the local TSC. Price here was $5.00 a bag. I'm running a MT Vernon AE and one thing I noticed after burning the Lignetics is that the Rocky Mtn. burned well but very fast, also with much less heat than the Lignetics. The fly ash I had with the Lignetics was very fine where with these it was more of a heavier ash. I would burn these again but for as quickly as they burned I don't know if I could really afford that. I keep my home at around 72 degrees and it does runs 24/7. I easily went through at least two bags a day. I did like the clear bag effect but the pellets in my batch were not uniform or consistent. Actually some were so small they fell right through the holes in the burn pot. I do like the idea of that pellet company making use of the trees that are being destroyed in Colorado. Just my .02 cents.

Yes...the ash is a bit heavier. But i found i could deal with that better than the big clinkers that some brands are producing. Also...mine have not burned as quickly as you posted jj. I have always burned a bag a day on medium on my Quad. If I burn on low i burn a bit less than a bag a day. And have never had smaller pellets falling through the burn pot....maybe its the batch difference perhaps.

Here in Maine i paid $5.75 a bag.....cant get them really any cheaper than that unfortunately.

I use these pellets also and have found them to be the best i have used to date bar none. There are no fines, no dust, they burn real nice and clean so clean in fact i allowed my stove to burn 2.5 weeks without doing anything to the stove i never even opened the door i just added pellets as needed. After 2.5 weeks i shut it down and cleaned the stove and it was a breeze to clean. Even the glass had only a slight white coat on it with a bit of darker spots on the side glass the stove ran perfect the whole time. They even smell great...

so far these are the best ones i have used. i had hardly any ash and was buring a bag a day with great heat output. will use them for next year.

jj1949 said:
...... I do like the idea of that pellet company making use of the trees that are being destroyed in Colorado. Just my .02 cents.

Why would you be against that??? If they aren't made into pellets, they most likely will be ground-up and burned some other way...the trees are dead already. We might as well get a really good use out of them.

Mac....lol....read that closely.....he is saying he is FOR the pellet co. making use out of the destroyed trees lol......I thought the same thing when i first read it.

macman said:
jj1949 said:
...... I do like the idea of that pellet company making use of the trees that are being destroyed in Colorado. Just my .02 cents.

Why would you be against that??? If they aren't made into pellets, they most likely will be ground-up and burned some other way...the trees are dead already. We might as well get a really good use out of them.

Thats right....i forgot to mention the dust......theres none! When I pour my pellets in the hopper I have no dust.

woodsman23 said:
I use these pellets also and have found them to be the best i have used to date bar none. There are no fines, no dust, they burn real nice and clean so clean in fact i allowed my stove to burn 2.5 weeks without doing anything to the stove i never even opened the door i just added pellets as needed. After 2.5 weeks i shut it down and cleaned the stove and it was a breeze to clean. Even the glass had only a slight white coat on it with a bit of darker spots on the side glass the stove ran perfect the whole time. They even smell great...

They are good pellets, my limited testing has shown that they burn almost as hot as Cubex, I haven't found anything hotter than those yet.

I just found out the Menards in Effingham, Il by where I live had some for $5.49 a bag. I got 4 bags to try them, burning the first bag now. They burn hot.

Tractor supply has them here in CT. Barkhamsted store. $5.99 a bag or $289/ton. Maybe they will go down before the fall heating season. Wish they had them when all wood heating product's were 25% off.

Still to expensive, But bought 4 bags to try next week. Kind of warm to worry about heating this weekend.

jay

MainePellethead said:
Mac....lol....read that closely.....he is saying he is FOR the pellet co. making use out of the destroyed trees lol......I thought the same thing when i first read it.

macman said:
jj1949 said:

That's that darn Macman trying to stir the old firepot again...hahaha

Wow, I raely like these pellets. They burn pretty darn good to me. Very good heat output and seem to burn pretty clean too! I'm going to say there in my top ten to get list.

Gotta go on a hunt to see if I can score some cheaper than the TSC price of $289 a ton.

Anyone find them cheaper in the CT area???

jay

I'd just like to find some....period !!! Here in Portland,Maine we can't find Rocky Mountain and Lignetics. If anyone knows where in Southern Maine I can find them...let me know. I would appreciate it very much.

www_godzilla said:
I'd just like to find some....period !!! Here in Portland,Maine we can't find Rocky Mountain and Lignetics. If anyone knows where in Southern Maine I can find them...let me know. I would appreciate it very much.

Are there any Tractor Supply Co. near you?? They have Lingnetics on there web site and My local has the Rocky's in stock.

jay

our TSC has had them most of the winter, though i do like some of the tendancies such as a very low ash buildup, the heat they bring isnt as impressive. their website posts a btu count just below 8K per pound which is a bit low and it shows. they have been great for "shoulder season" burning when not as much heat is needed to hold comfort in the house. but i'll stick to hardwoods for the coldest parts of the winter.

one thing i really really like is the heavy guage bag with the molded handle. its sturdy enough , i havent had a bag tear yet toting them like a suitcase. nice thoughtful feature.

overall i am happy with them for what im doing with them , happy that they are eco-friendly and are a positive thing in that they are getting use out of the dead trees, its much better than just burning them off or worse just felling them and leaving them as that could literally worsen the beetle issue.

i will continue to buy and use them as long as they are available to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.