Allergic reaction to Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scoggins

Dec 10, 2019
British Columbia
Hi folks

We have a pellet stove, and have burned pellets for the last three years for the length of winter: about 7 months. Started burning pellets a few weeks ago, in the last week my wife has developed a severe allergic reaction whenever the stove is on: constant sneezing and tight chest that has led to nosebleeds and feeling rundown like her body is fighting sickness. When it wasn't so cold we turned the stove off and opened windows, the allergies cleared up in an hour or two, and she has no allergic reaction when outside the house.

We installed a sensor that detects total volatized organic compounds (TVOC), temperature, and relative humidity. I put the sensor in the basement with the pellet stove, all the parameters are normal: 30 - 35% for relative humidity and the temperature has been 'good' since install. I'm waiting for the TVOC to calibrate and will know tomorrow whether there's an issue there. I'm wondering if there is anything else we could look at that would prevent the allergies given we're going into winter and can't go without heat? We've also vacuumed the basement to stop dust getting blown around and installed three air purifiers (one on each floor of the house).

We had a few bags of pellets left over from last year, and started off the season burning those. I noticed that when we were burning those she wasn't having a reaction. So has either built up a sensitivity or started having a reaction once we were burning this year's batch of pellets. I'm thinking I'll buy a few other bags of hardwood pellets to see if those change things.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

• Wow
Reactions: wetwood4life
It sounds like it might be the new pellets. I would try other brands and see if there’s a different brand that does not affect her.

I'd try something else. My Sister-in-law has a strong allergic reaction to Birch wood (among other things). The smoke can even set it off, so I make sure I'm not burning any or have any in the house when they come over.

Could be something similar here, a species she is allergic to may have got blended with your pellets.

Hi folks

We have a pellet stove, and have burned pellets for the last three years for the length of winter: about 7 months. Started burning pellets a few weeks ago, in the last week my wife has developed a severe allergic reaction whenever the stove is on: constant sneezing and tight chest that has led to nosebleeds and feeling rundown like her body is fighting sickness. When it wasn't so cold we turned the stove off and opened windows, the allergies cleared up in an hour or two, and she has no allergic reaction when outside the house.

We installed a sensor that detects total volatized organic compounds (TVOC), temperature, and relative humidity. I put the sensor in the basement with the pellet stove, all the parameters are normal: 30 - 35% for relative humidity and the temperature has been 'good' since install. I'm waiting for the TVOC to calibrate and will know tomorrow whether there's an issue there. I'm wondering if there is anything else we could look at that would prevent the allergies given we're going into winter and can't go without heat? We've also vacuumed the basement to stop dust getting blown around and installed three air purifiers (one on each floor of the house).

We had a few bags of pellets left over from last year, and started off the season burning those. I noticed that when we were burning those she wasn't having a reaction. So has either built up a sensitivity or started having a reaction once we were burning this year's batch of pellets. I'm thinking I'll buy a few other bags of hardwood pellets to see if those change things.

Cheers
try placing a pot of water without lid above the stove, I think your humidity is too low,
probably by increasing the temperature, it gets worse, humidity should be around 50

Hi folks

Cheers
I am no expert, but would check your stove and chimney for leaks. Also when was the last time the stove and chimney was fully cleaned?