Rookie decisions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BeanstalksNY

Apr 18, 2021
New York
Hi everyone,
After reading endless comments and discussions, I’ve decided to make an account since I’m jumping into the world of wood stoves shortly. After months of narrowing down, my decision is between the FP30 and Stratford 2.

Both have their strong points but I’m wondering about a couple details. Osburn makes an OAK with an air tight damper...could that be used with the FP30? Also, is it difficult to add a variable fan speed control to the FP30?

Finally, if anyone has either of these stoves or has experiences with them, your opinions would be greatly appreciated. This is a large investment and I would be grateful for your insight.
Thanks!

PS-I’m going to share pictures/videos if people are interested once I make a decision and the installation is complete

Last edited:
There are some fundamental differences between the two fireplaces. Both are good brands, but with notable internal design differences. The most basic is that the FP30 can be run with N/S loading and the Stratford is more of an E/W loader. The fireboxes are quite different too. On the exterior, the double-door adds more gasket sealing to deal with.

I have not found information about the Osburn OAK being dampered. I see a lovered exterior cover, but not dampering. The FP30 blower can be switched or speed controlled. It is set up so that the terminal block is fed by a wall switch or fan speed control.

There are some fundamental differences between the two fireplaces. Both are good brands, but with notable internal design differences. The most basic is that the FP30 can be run with N/S loading and the Stratford is more of an E/W loader. The fireboxes are quite different too. On the exterior, the double-door adds more gasket sealing to deal with.

I have not found information about the Osburn OAK being dampered. I see a lovered exterior cover, but not dampering. The FP30 blower can be switched or speed controlled. It is set up so that the terminal block is fed by a wall switch or fan speed control.

The North South loading alone would be enough for me to go with the PE not to mention the single door.

My standard suggestion to a rookie ready and willing to jump in with two feet on a stove purchase is make sure you have your expected usage in firewood cut split and piled properly for at least a year before you plan to use the stove. One complete year is the minimum preferably two or you should search for the kiln threads on how to speed up seasoning. New stoves are fundamentally designed to only burn dry wood. Try it with wet wood and you will be very disappointed. Older pre EPA stoves may be able to burn wetter wood but the efficiency is lower and it likely that creosote will be an issue.

Poorly seasoned wood is the number one source of complaints from new stove owners.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man