Rookie looking for help with add-on furnace recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CT125

Feb 11, 2017
plainville CT
Hey everyone. I am new to the forum and have been reading quite a bit on here recently. If I am posting this in the wrong area I apologize and please feel free to redirect me.

Here's my scenario: I am in Connecticut and looking at purchasing a new home. House is approx 2900sq with 10ft ceiling's throughout and a two story open entry. House has propane heat and the cost of heating with propane is substantial (IMO). We've got unlimited wood supply so I am looking into options for a wood furnace add on. Being a total amateur, I am a bit lost at what would work well, be budget conscious (Ideally I'd like to be under 4k installed and it might need an external chimney pipe) and be low maintenance if possible (wife doesn't like to play with fire). I went to a local stove & furnace store and their only option was going to be 10k installed! PUKE

Does anyone have any recommendations of furnaces to consider, what to expect for installation (do I use an HVAC guy?) or even recommendations in this area for resources?

I saw a Summer's Heat 3,000 sq Ft unit on sale for less than 1k at Loews right now but have no idea of that's a real option. I have read on here and elsewhere about units with all different features and secondary burns, etc.

If anyone could recommend some good starting options that would be much appreciated!

You certainly have options. I would suggest a drolet heat pro. Or a newer shelter furnace. Lots of people like the englander series. You need to figure out your chimney situation and subtract that from your budget. Most people I know go with a duravent triple wall chimney on the outside of the house. You are looking at $89 per 3 ft. And another 300 for the thimble through the wall.
You will need to get good wood now. Realistically you won't be able to burn wood well next winter. It won't be dry enough in any of the newer style furnaces.

Cutting wood for heating a big home is a huge task. I spend hours every weekend to do so. But I also haven't had to use more then half my lp in a year. LP was way to expensive for me. So I went from $1500 a year to $350 a year in heating costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum and have been reading quite a bit on here recently. If I am posting this in the wrong area I apologize and please feel free to redirect me.

Here's my scenario: I am in Connecticut and looking at purchasing a new home. House is approx 2900sq with 10ft ceiling's throughout and a two story open entry. House has propane heat and the cost of heating with propane is substantial (IMO). We've got unlimited wood supply so I am looking into options for a wood furnace add on. Being a total amateur, I am a bit lost at what would work well, be budget conscious (Ideally I'd like to be under 4k installed and it might need an external chimney pipe) and be low maintenance if possible (wife doesn't like to play with fire). I went to a local stove & furnace store and their only option was going to be 10k installed! PUKE

Does anyone have any recommendations of furnaces to consider, what to expect for installation (do I use an HVAC guy?) or even recommendations in this area for resources?

I saw a Summer's Heat 3,000 sq Ft unit on sale for less than 1k at Loews right now but have no idea of that's a real option. I have read on here and elsewhere about units with all different features and secondary burns, etc.

If anyone could recommend some good starting options that would be much appreciated!
Not sure if you would be willing to see what is available to you on the high end of the heating market but if so I am right near Collinsville and would be happy to show you what is possible via Indoor Gasification with storage.

Not sure if you would be willing to see what is available to you on the high end of the heating market but if so I am right near Collinsville and would be happy to show you what is possible via Indoor Gasification with storage.

Aren't those gasses and storage way more then 4K?

Is waiting a year or two an option. Lots of changes are happening in the wood furnace industry right now. I bet there will be a lot more options for an easy to use furnace as they all become EPA regulated. This will also give you time to get wood and have it actually dry. Not being 1 of the million people trying to learn how to operate a new unit, coupled with wet wood.

Aren't those gasses and storage way more then 4K?

Yes sir, a lot more. Just offering to show you what is possible, you may find that a greater investment brings better ROI, may get you more of what you want, etc. or not. Not saying it will but suggesting to explore the options available to you so that you can make the best educated decision that meets your needs.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
Lcback, that drolet heat pro looks like a beast. Seems to have a lot of features in terms of capacity, potential burn time, outlets and the thermostat with auto air supply control sounds nice. Maybe at the right price that could fit the bill.

Thanks for the heads up estimate on the chimney cost estimate. The one local store I went to was estimating $250/4 feet which seemed very high. If it's as simple as running it up the exterior wall, bracketing and leveling, not exactly rocket science. And in regards to properly seasoned wood (from a few of the folks already), I have a solid supply already. Our family owns over 50 acres of woods and we are constantly dragging out dropped trees to cut, split and stack for my parents so there is already a solid source in line.

JohnDolz, Thank you very much for the offer but that will likely be out of range for our current budget. Ironically I work not too far from you so it's great to know there's a good local resource! Collinsville center is beautiful, that's for sure.

STIHLY DAN, Love the name, lol. While I like the idea, I think we would prefer to get something set up right away. I am new to wood furnaces/stoves but not totally simply due to using both at my parent's home. The Drolet mentioned by lcback soubds nice with the auto connect to the furnace, especially for a newb like us.

This is all great thoughts and ideas. I appreciate all the input we can get!

Reactions: Lcback
jrhawk9, thank you for that link, all the information is so useful in my research.

docsj125, how long have you had the super jack now? Have you been pleased with the results? Did you install yourself and about how much did it run you all in?

Most people I know go with a duravent triple wall chimney on the outside of the house
Class A double wall chimney would be a more appropriate choice for a wood burner...its insulated so it keeps the flue gasses warmer...less creosote buildup, better draft. Doesn't cost anymore, probably less. (than triple wall)
I just bought all the parts to put a Selkirk Supervent Class A chimney up at my MIL/FIL's new house. Everything needed came to $615 after sale price and the rebate. That's double wall pipe inside and 11' of class A up through the roof...with all the accessories to go along, right down to the caulk.
I know that CT doesn't have Menards stores, but they ship so maybe that would be an option?
Just FYI, the Drolet Heatpro would be a pretty good option for you IMO, a lot of heater for the money.

Last edited:
I totally agree with this.

Class A double wall chimney would be a more appropriate choice for a wood burner...its insulated so it keeps the flue gasses warmer...less creosote buildup, better draft. Doesn't cost anymore, probably less.
I just bought all the parts to put a Selkirk Supervent Class A chimney up at my MIL/FIL's new house. Everything needed came to $615 after sale price and the rebate. That's double wall pipe inside and 11' of class A up through the roof...with all the accessories to go along, right down to the caulk.
I know that CT doesn't have Menards stores, but they ship so maybe that would be an option?

jrhawk9, thank you for that link, all the information is so useful in my research.

docsj125, how long have you had the super jack now? Have you been pleased with the results? Did you install yourself and about how much did it run you all in?

I paid 1200 for the furnace.
Had a 7in double wall chimney installed for 1000
Did the rest of the install myself
I going to have a pro redo the duct work in the summer.
I have been very happy so far, hose is at constant 70 burning hot bricks and envi blocks.

Lcback, that drolet heat pro looks like a beast. Seems to have a lot of features in terms of capacity, potential burn time, outlets and the thermostat with auto air supply control sounds nice. Maybe at the right price that could fit the bill.

Thanks for the heads up estimate on the chimney cost estimate. The one local store I went to was estimating $250/4 feet which seemed very high. If it's as simple as running it up the exterior wall, bracketing and leveling, not exactly rocket science. And in regards to properly seasoned wood (from a few of the folks already), I have a solid supply already. Our family owns over 50 acres of woods and we are constantly dragging out dropped trees to cut, split and stack for my parents so there is already a solid source in line.

JohnDolz, Thank you very much for the offer but that will likely be out of range for our current budget. Ironically I work not too far from you so it's great to know there's a good local resource! Collinsville center is beautiful, that's for sure.

STIHLY DAN, Love the name, lol. While I like the idea, I think we would prefer to get something set up right away. I am new to wood furnaces/stoves but not totally simply due to using both at my parent's home. The Drolet mentioned by lcback soubds nice with the auto connect to the furnace, especially for a newb like us.

This is all great thoughts and ideas. I appreciate all the input we can get!
MY pleasure, happy to show it to you anytime, you might get some ideas for the future.

I call Yukon and that what they recommend.
I am new to wood burning so I want to do the installation by the book.
Huh, well how 'bout that...I just learned something. After owning a Big Jack (with a 6" flue connector) I was sure the SJ was 6" too. Well I just looked it up and nope, it is 7"...I never knew that...makes complete sense now why they would recommend a 7" chimney.

Class A double wall chimney would be a more appropriate choice for a wood burner...its insulated so it keeps the flue gasses warmer...less creosote buildup, better draft. Doesn't cost anymore, probably less. (than triple wall)

Please school me on the difference between Class A double wall and triple wall. Isn't triple wall insulated? My dad was telling me how they used triple wall stuff for his fireplace years ago and when I heard that I was confused as to why triple wall. I have all ULC S-629 Class A double wall chimney, not that cheap USA spec stuff...lol :p

The Canadian ULC S-629 standard is generally considered the toughest residential chimney standard in the world. The USA standard requires the chimney to withstand three 10-minute 2100°F chimney fires. The Canadian standard requires the chimney to withstand three 30-minute chimney fires, three times longer than the USA.

the difference between Class A double wall and triple wall. Isn't triple wall insulated?
As I understand it, no. Air cooled only, no insulation.

Please school me on the difference between Class A double wall and triple wall. Isn't triple wall insulated? My dad was telling me how they used triple wall stuff for his fireplace years ago and when I heard that I was confused as to why triple wall. I have all ULC S-629 Class A double wall chimney, not that cheap USA spec stuff...lol :p

I don't know for sure. But my triple wall has insulation in between the first two pipes. And air space in between pipes two and three.

That isn't how my triple wall duravent class chimney works. I can take a picture later for proof if need be. I have insulation and an air space.

The little bit I looked into it, it seems it all depends on what spec rating it has. UL 103, UL 103 HT, ULC S604, ULC S610 or ULC S629. The first is the least stringent while the last is the most stringent. I don't know how the middle ones fall into line. UL is USA spec and ULC is Canadian spec.

The little bit I looked into it, it seems it all depends on what spec rating it has. UL 103, UL 103 HT, ULC S604, ULC S610 or ULC S629. The first is the least stringent while the last is the most stringent. I don't know how the middle ones fall into line. UL is USA spec and ULC is Canadian spec.

Okay. I don't remember which ul spec I have. But it requires a 2" gap to combustabilea. I have been pretty impressed by it. I can have a raging fire in the furnace and my single wall inside pipe is 500 on the outside. I walk out of the house and the center pipe is hot outside pipe is freezing cold to the touch.

Triple wall is also much bigger. Kinda goofy looking it's so big.

All the triple wall I have seen has had no insulation. Looking into it I see some does. I am assuming here, But I would tend to think the triple wall that is insulated is to keep the flue gas warmer not for temp rating.