Rope question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
I have lots of crappy rope, but I need to get some good stuff to work with my come-along. Any recommendations? Probably need about 200 ft. And, if I can avoid spending $300 on it, all the better.

What kind of load? If your skidding logs I don't know what else would work besides winch rope which is about $4-5/ft.

Hard-core climbers change out their climbing ropes often, to just stay on the ultra safe side. Perhaps you could put ads on Craigs list under wanted and see what you get.

Hard-core climbers change out their climbing ropes often, to just stay on the ultra safe side. Perhaps you could put ads on Craigs list under wanted and see what you get.
Good idea. I'll try that. You actually have me another idea, too. My boss is a pretty active climber. I'll ask him what he and his climbing buddies do with their retired rope.

What kind of load? If your skidding logs I don't know what else would work besides winch rope which is about $4-5/ft.
A big oak broke off about 50 feet up, and the top caught in adjacent trees. The top peice that is hanging on like a hinge appears to be pretty small, maybe not even still connected. Was going to throw the rope up to the horizontal part (the top) and try to winch it off with a come-along.

The down side of climbing ropes is that the modern ones have a great deal of stretch to them, so if someone falls, they are not brought up too short and hurt. I would think if it were me, I would want as little stretch as possible when winching trees. The old ropes made before the modern era with natural fibers do not have this stretch, and those are the ones you would probably want. I know a climber who has an old one stuck away. He does not use it, but he thinks it is too good to throw away.

The down side of climbing ropes is that the modern ones have a great deal of stretch to them, so if someone falls, they are not brought up too short and hurt. I would think if it were me, I would want as little stretch as possible when winching trees. The old ropes made before the modern era with natural fibers do not have this stretch, and those are the ones you would probably want. I know a climber who has an old one stuck away. He does not use it, but he thinks it is too good to throw away.
Yes, i agree that we wouldn't want all the stretch for this application.

A friend recommended something he referred to as california trucking rope, it's orange and black. Apparently California has a regulation that ensures a certain minimum breaking point for use on road loads. I might try to find some of that, he says it doesn't stretch at all.

I have been using 3000# winch rope for a few seasons now to pull dropped trees out to my logging trails. I put one on my winch and have two others I spliced hooks on the ends to get me 150' off the trails.
IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0749.PNG

Also used to pull down any trees that hang up after dropping. They have worked great so far and you can't beat the price.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I have been using 3000# winch rope for a few seasons now to pull dropped trees out to my logging trails. I put one on my winch and have two others I spliced hooks on the ends to get me 150' off the trails.
View attachment 194922
View attachment 194923
Also used to pull down any trees that hang up after dropping. They have worked great so far and you can't beat the price.

I wondered about this stuff, thanks for the review. I'll check it out.

Plus I see that it has award winning quality!

I wondered about this stuff, thanks for the review. I'll check it out.

Plus I see that it has award winning quality!

That's HF every thing wins some kind of . This is one of the few items that works and lasts.

That's HF every thing wins some kind of . This is one of the few items that works and lasts.
Yep, I'm familiar with the Harbor Freight marketing, I get a kick out of it. Pretty effective, like the Gurney's gardening catalog, makes me want stuff that I don't need. I resist most of the time, but the winch rope, I might actually need on the other hand, and it's good to have a review so as to avoid some of the lower quality stuff.

Search for bull rope or static rope. Quality rope will be expensive but will last a homeowner a lifetime. Check out the maasdam ropepuller if you haven't already. Lots of bull rope on eBay for decent price. I personally would never by any rope rope shorter than 100' for tree work

eBay....old climbing ropes can be had at a pretty good price. I use them all the time for pulling and tugging logs.......Craig

If you're considering buying a new rope go to sherrilltree.com they have a great selection of quality rope. They're really not as expensive as you think. You can get a 200' three strand 7000# tensile strength for about 150 bucks.