Roxul on top of insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
I've got about 3 inches or so above the top of my insert. I'm looking through past threads and seeing mixed comments on the concept of insulating the space by using batt Roxul to fill the space. The alternative would be to pull the insert and that is not a DIY I would choose. Plan on calling Recency in addition to any suggestions I get here. Thanks!

Personally I think that will do the job just fine. You are just holding the heat a little closer to the stove top than it would be with a insulated block off plate a few inches above it. Don't be surprised if Regency balks because they didn't test the insert with insulation sitting on top of the shroud. They also didn't test it in your particular, or anybody's particular fireplace.

But the UL testing fired that sucker a lot hotter than you ever will without calling the fire department and running screaming out into the yard.

Don't be surprised if Regency balks because they didn't test the insert with insulation sitting on top of the shroud.
You called it, BB:

"A means to seal the top of the fireplace where the liner goes thru the existing chimney would be required to prevent room air from entering this chimney cavity but insulation could not be put on top of the actual appliance."

Status
Not open for further replies.