Roxul/rockwool behind and to the sides of a wood stove insert in addition to being stuffed at the the throat of the liner/damper? Any thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Torgul83

Mar 13, 2022
North castle Ny
I'm expecting my osburn 3500 to come in this week and have the rockwool ready. Theoretically, it would make sense to place some rockwool behind and to the sides of the insert to keep it even more insulated to maintain temps for longer and keeping the blower running for longer times before auto-shut off.

Yes, if this is an exterior wall fireplace. That will reduce heat loss. Put a proper block-off plate under the roxul stuffing above the damper area.

I wouldn't bother doing this with an interior fireplace. Heat loss to the masonry will still be within the home's heated envelope.

It's an interior wall. Think it would be overkill to do so?
Blockoff plate is still needed. Don’t really see the point of insulation around the unit. One case I could make is that if like short hot fires insulation might help shorted the warm up time but probably will have not much effect once it’s been burning 6-8 hours.