Roxul safety

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
a few yrs ago, I had my wood insert installed. Before i knew what a blockoff plate was, install had been completed with installer stuffing roxul up in damper area, no plate. Long story, but some issues came up that involved me removing the roxul and then shoving it back up in damper area. This happened maybe 10 times and the roxul broke apart enough that I decided to remove it for good. During these times I used a vacuum to keep dust in room down as much as possible. When done I would vacuum the top of insert of visible dust. I did not wear mask. At this point there is some remnants of the roxul that fell in the back and sides of insert that are poorly accessible so roxul pieces still there. Plan is to get a vacuum attachment that can finally access these spots.
Ive heard different things about roxul. I was curious what you all think or know about the safety of modern roxul insulation. I’m wondering if remaining Roxul dust in the fireplace has been entering into the small gaps in the shroud of insert and then getting blown into the house, and if this has been a hazard. Again, I’ll be cleaning up the fireplace further so that this is a non issue going forward. Thanks for any input.

Roxul is a non re-active product made from rock (Basalt - volcanic rock) and slag (by-product of steel industry) like any other fibrous material it can in some more sensitive people cause minor respiratory irritations through acute exposures. This insulation product is safer then the more common fiberglass insulation.

Not a big deal. It will irritate many people’s throats, skin, and eyes but as long as your not scrubbing your face with it you are fine. Should use a mask but many do not. Also, rock wool doesn’t burn or hold water so no real problem with it being up by the pipe.