Running black pipe or galvanized flush to wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave11

Minister of Fire
May 25, 2008
Western PA
I've seen some vids on youtube of some gas pipe installs, in which the black pipe is running flush to a wall, either horizontally or vertically, all around a room. It looks very neat, but it's never explained how they do it. Because the pipe is so rigid, I don't see how you could fit a pipe wrench around the fittings and turn them tightly, when they are right up against the wall.

I'd guess you could "muscle" the pipe out of line enough to turn a fitting, but that would seem like it would risk damaging the threaded joints already made.

Am I overlooking something?

Thanks.

Interesting question. Not only to fit on a pipe wrench, but eventually there's an elbow that would need to be threaded on, rotating through the wall. I don't know the answer, although I can imagine it's possible to assemble a section of piping away from the wall, then connect it against the wall with a union or something.

If you don't get better answers on this forum, there might be someone over on the boiler forum that would know.

Careful measurement and pre-assembly before moving the section into place in the room?
Put unions where you can get to them with a wrench?
I'd suggest the Terry Love forum for answers.

There is a pipe wrench for this where its actually a chain type device with a handle. it doesn't need much clearance at all. you can certainly slip it around the pipe and ratchet it tight. there is also a hydraulic version of the same for really large pipes.

I have no idea how you would get an elbow on without wrestling the pipe away from the wall just enough to do it. the longer the run of pipe the easier it is to wrestle few inches temporary clearance.

I've seen some vids on youtube of some gas pipe installs, in which the black pipe is running flush to a wall, either horizontally or vertically, all around a room. It looks very neat, but it's never explained how they do it. Because the pipe is so rigid, I don't see how you could fit a pipe wrench around the fittings and turn them tightly, when they are right up against the wall.

I'd guess you could "muscle" the pipe out of line enough to turn a fitting, but that would seem like it would risk damaging the threaded joints already made.

Am I overlooking something?

Thanks.

Black Iron Pipe (BIP) in 1/2" or 3/4" is not that rigid. It will actually flex with minimal effort,
allowing you to get your wrenches on it for tightening. As someone else posted, the trick
is to accurately measure the lengths & knowing how much thread engagement is required
to get the fittings tight.

I installed black pipe for a gas line in my basement and the closest I could get it to the wall was maybe 1/2-3/4" standoff. As mentioned the fittings are wider than the pipe, and I didn't see the point of bending the pipe section in the middle. It does flex a good bit, especially a longer piece.

As for assembly you do need to think though how it all goes together so you can get elbows and whatnot on while they're accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.