Running gas insert continuously?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thermodynamix

Jan 26, 2021
Massachusetts
I was getting quotes to have cellulose blown in my attic by a contractor, who saw my Mendota FV44i and said, "Nice insert, make sure you don't leave it on continuously though, those things are more for looks and will break down if you rely on it for heat.

My house is 1200 sq ft and the Mendota easily keeps the first floor at 68 F, and lots of the heat rises to the second floor which stays around 65 F. This is if I leave it on the "low flame" setting, no insulation in the attic, and it's below freezing out!

The Mendota manual also recommends using Continuous Pilot Ignition (CPI) mode during the heating season, where the pilot is always on.

The manual says nothing bad about leaving the unit on a low flame continuously and using that for heat, and the manual actually encourages it as a heat source!

So what's the deal here? Is it bad to leave gas inserts on continuously, during the cold months?

Tell your contractor to stick to what he knows.
Your insert is as safe as a furnace.
Continuous pilot will keep the box warmer
& eliminate the condensation build up on
the inside of the glass at fire up.

Tell your contractor to stick to what he knows.
Your insert is as safe as a furnace.
Continuous pilot will keep the box warmer
& eliminate the condensation build up on
the inside of the glass at fire up.
Thanks. The Mendota also keeps the bedrooms warm when running on the lowest setting, this thing is a beast. Is it bad to run it all the time? I can't find a straight answer on this anywhere.

***Is it bad to run it all the time? ***

It's a space heater.
Use to heat your space for as long as you need to use it.
That's what is was designed to do.