Running LP and Wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zero2491

Sep 14, 2023
NW Ohio
Newbie question here. Purchased a house with both LP furnace and outdoor wood boiler. By running both LP and wood boiler i had a major loss of LP and went through 4 330gal tanks in one season.

If i am going to run just the wood boiler, should i shut off the LP to my indoor furnace? I have not turned the wood boiler on this season and I have not used as much of it so far. My thermostat only has 2 wires, red and white. My furnace is halfway through its life, someone inspected and said its only about 60% efficient right now.

I did make a post a few months ago on efficiency loss in my system and am trying to narrow it down further on what some issues may be.

But essentially my question is, should i shut the burner off to the indoor furnace if i am going to run the outdoor boiler, and then 2) will my indoor furnace circulating pump still go when thermostat calls for heat. ( I have radiant baseboard heating through whole house in 3 zones)