Running natural gas to my house, maybe convert one fireplace to gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

area_man

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2013
Oregon City, OR
Hi gents, back again to access some of the wisdom here. After being out of power for five days we've decided to run nat gas to our house and use it for continuous hot water, maybe the furnace, but maybe not. Maybe we'd run gas to the upstairs 36x24 fireplace that has one of those fans built into the brick that helps disperse heat.

I like the big viewing area and would like to heat the 1100sf 2nd floor of our house with the fireplace and maybe one or two of those wall mounted 30KBTU heaters that are about $300 and would add to the distribution of heat.

The downstairs area has a non-vented otherwise same same 36x24 opening fireplace, I'm thinking about putting in a BK Princess that would have the potential to heat the whole house upstairs and downstairs with firewood.

For the gas fireplace, is there one that's designed to heat the space instead of look decorative? They look nice but I wonder how much heat they would throw out. I'd sort of like one like my parents had in the 70s, you could see the gas line to the logs, but you could turn up the flame pretty high and it would put some heat in the house. Then again our power never went out so I have no idea how well it would have worked. Mainly I just would like to use the whole fireplace if possible, or rather if that's really still a good idea.

Any thoughts?

Look at gas fireplace INSERTS if you want heat.
What you had in the 70s was probably an inefficient
gas log set. Those give off WARMTH, not HEAT.

If you convert the upstairs fireplace to gas, I don;t think you'll get the heat dispersion from those fans like you would from burning wood. I have a similar setup but converted it to a wood insert. Those fans throw off a lot less heat since the conversion. But the fan in the insert makes uop for it and it's much quieter.

What ever you do, keep in mind the fans won't work if you loose electricty. That's why I recently purchased an inverter/generastor so I can run a few things if the power goes out. to