Rust and paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian L

Oct 15, 2013
North Smithfield, RI
I have a ton of rust in my stove this year. Not enough damp rid i guess. Now i need to clean and repaint. I scraped, sanded and steel wool most of the rust off. The metal is pitted so there is still some rust as you can see in the picture.

What is the best method to fully remove rust from these plates?

I bought vht flameproof paint. Anything i need to know prep wise prior to painting?

Thanks..

6b5f5b0733ba8def2472e0032e864428.jpg

Wire wheel. There are several available coarsenesses and materials that can result in just smoothing or aggressive removal.

They also sell scotchbrite pads that you can chuck into a drill. Home depot.

If the rust is really bad, like Highbeam says, wire wheel, sand, clean and then use a rust converter like naval jelly. Follow the instructions. Then paint. I have used VHT paint on my Jeep with good results, though I don't know about inside the burn chamber of a pellet stove. I think the paint will eventually burn off because of the constant heat.

If the rust is really bad, like Highbeam says, wire wheel, sand, clean and then use a rust converter like naval jelly. Follow the instructions. Then paint. I have used VHT paint on my Jeep with good results, though I don't know about inside the burn chamber of a pellet stove. I think the paint will eventually burn off because of the constant heat.

Thanks. Any recommendation for paint? Right now i plan on using vht and using a propane grill for the baking procedure.

I don't know of any paint that will stick in the burn pot with the fire hitting it. It could just be that the composition of the metal makes it prone to rust or the pellets you are burning are releasing some type of corrosive agent that is wearing the metal down. Light surface rust is normal and it quickly goes away with the first hot fire.

On my stove the heavy plate behind the fire and the baffle hanging above are still like new after 6 years of fires. But the metal grate that surrounds the burn pot is wearing away on one side of the combustion action where the fire meets the fresh air.

Last edited: