Rust on heat exchange tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haff99

Jan 15, 2015
pennsylvania
I bought a new pellet insert last year, a Lopi AGP. I wanted to see if any rust was forming on the heat exchange tubes in the off season, so I removed the baffles and there was rust. My previous stove did the same exact thing over the summer when it sat for a while. Usually after the stove ran a bit the rust must have burnt off or got scraped off when I cleaned the tubes.

So does this happen with anyone else? ANythign I can do to prevent this? Paint the tubes??? I don't think this is a problem and never has been before. My insert is downstairs in a finished basement so it is a bit "damp" down there(not really any worse then the rest of the house).

Should put some damprid in the burnpot. I don't have any rust on my Harman heat exchangers yet. Are you able to block off the exhaust? Could be more moisture than you think getting in there if its open to the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.