Rusted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jack56 said:
Im no expert by any means, but it looks as if water has been coming in the top of the stove. Is this an insert??

No, not an insert, it's standing model. The flue and intake are both horizontal out through the wall (~2ft). Then there is a 90 on the flue and it runs vertical to the roof. I don't believe it is water... nothing else in the stove is in this condition.

You won't have any problem getting that replaced under warranty. They have had problems with it before and will give you a new one. I had three new ones before I sold the stove. You should be able to run that stove wide open and not damage anything.
Of course that is a imported part so quality control is a question. Much like the electrical board and the problems it had. The last one I got said Beijing in real small print confirming my suspicions.
I think the cast iron comes from another country know for its high quality but maybe that got changed.
At any rate the warranty will take care of you.

I had three new ones before I sold the stove.

Were you not happy with the stove? This stove was built in the heat of last years pellet stove run. I'm afraid quality control was laxed. During the first 2 days of operation the stove developed a clicking/rattling noise. I finally located it and was able to resolve it by adding some felt padding in a few places After that the stove ran great throughout the season I'm just not happy with what I found earlier tonight.....

mainegeek, just check with the dealer tomorrow or when they are open next. Let me know if they give you any crap about it. They should have no problem getting credit from Quad, so they should be willing to order you a new one no problem.

jtp10181, I definitely will... I am concerned though because I reviewed the manual and it states that rust is not covered. I'm hoping at 11 months extenuating circumstances can be made. Of course, I'm not about to point out this text in the warranty! ;)

Interestingly enough, according to the warranty, noises (expansion of metal, fan noise, rattling, etc) are not covered.

I just got my AE this past January, at the end of the season, I cleaned everything out real good, took the baffle out wire brushed it washed it in soap and water and then air dried it. I then painted it with black stove paint. The entire rest of the inside of the stove I sprayed with a light coat of Pam cooking spray. It made the stove look brand new and it still looks that way now. The Pam keeps everything from rusting if you do have moisture inside for some reason. Also, did you put a rag inside your vent pipe at the cap end to keep out moisture from the summer humidity?

I talked to the dealer today. The manager won't be in until Wednesday but they took my pictures, the pieces I brought in, and pulled up my account and printed it off. They said they would give everything to the manager on Wednesday. The employees said they had never seen anything like it as well. They did say they didn't feel there would be a problem with getting the baffle replaced.

Hopefully the manager agrees....

It will be interesting to see what he thinks happened to you stove.

Keep us updated :coolsmile:

I got a call from the dealer today while at work. They stated they will be warrantying the Baffle (Yah!) and I should expect it to be in in a couple weeks!

Ok, so the new baffle came in this last week and I picked it up today.

First impressions of it are that it is different. It appears to be slightly thinner and lighter. The diamond and the flame logo don't appear to be as high.

The last time I cleaned the stove I noticed the baffle had cracked in two places. One crack was near the opening for the pellets and the other was near the top opening to the heat exchangers. It appears they may be aware of the cracking near the top because they seemed to have excluded the metal pieces that run the center of the opening.

Finally it also seems to fit the stove slightly better. When I centered the new baffle into the stove I noticed the gap between the side of the stove and the baffle appears to be smaller.

I just wanted to share my impressions...

Status
Not open for further replies.