rusty tee snout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmcqb

Nov 29, 2020
Wellsboro, PA
I installed a new 304L SS liner last year. I took off the spark arrestor/chimney cover to clean it and a torrential downpour broke out, so got lots of water in the flue. I later cleaned the rest of liner and this is a picture of the bottom of the tee snout. Is there something preventative I can do for rust? The tee snout has a 22" nose, so it's about as long as my arm and I can't really do anything in there like wire brush it out. Reaching in a shopvac to take out the debris and reaching my arm down to take videos is about all I can figure out.

I was wondering if there is something like a high temp fluid film that could help prevent further rust. Other ideas?

As far as I can tell, if it rusts through, I'll have to pull the whole liner apart to replace it?

20210915_113347-768x1024.jpg

I installed a new 304L SS liner last year. I took off the spark arrestor/chimney cover to clean it and a torrential downpour broke out, so got lots of water in the flue. I later cleaned the rest of liner and this is a picture of the bottom of the tee snout. Is there something preventative I can do for rust? The tee snout has a 22" nose, so it's about as long as my arm and I can't really do anything in there like wire brush it out. Reaching in a shopvac to take out the debris and reaching my arm down to take videos is about all I can figure out.

I was wondering if there is something like a high temp fluid film that could help prevent further rust. Other ideas?

As far as I can tell, if it rusts through, I'll have to pull the whole liner apart to replace it?

View attachment 282498
Is that just used for wood? Where did you get the liner?

How does it attach to the liner? Mine used SS clamps to attach the snout to the T and also uses SS clamps to attach the T to the liner.
Was that piece galvanized metal? I would replace it with one made of stainless steel or you may have this as a recurring problem.
How much room do you have to get to the top of the tee-snout, enough to loosen the clamps or screws?

Is the chimney cap galvanized?

How does it attach to the liner? Mine used SS clamps to attach the snout to the T and also uses SS clamps to attach the T to the liner.
Was that piece galvanized metal? I would replace it with one made of stainless steel or you may have this as a recurring problem.
How much room do you have to get to the top of the tee-snout, enough to loosen the clamps or screws?
The snout and liner were all SS. Snout attaches to tee with a clamp, and SS rivets attach tee to rest of liner.

I wouldn't be able to reach the top of the tee snout without taking the whole liner out the top of the chimney.

22 gauge SS. I suspect the problem was the downpour when I took off the cap to clean it. I guess I should have tried to shop-vac out the water ASAP.

It should not rust like that at all. My guess is it was the wrong alloy of stainless. I would call Rockford and send them.the pics.

I sent Rockford the pics and they did replace my tee and snout - so they treated me right.

Now I have to pull the whole liner our to replace. I think I'll see how it goes through the next season.

I sent Rockford the pics and they did replace my tee and snout - so they treated me right.

Now I have to pull the whole liner our to replace. I think I'll see how it goes through the next season.
That is what I would do