Rutland Fire Starters used in inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Doing my nightly reading here and ran across someones thread stating that fire starters shouldn't be used in inserts.. I have been using Rutland Safe Lite fire starters in my insert for 3 years now. I have never had a problem using them and they were recommended to me. They are small 2" squares and I generally use 1 that I break apart and cover with kindling and fatwood instead of newspaper.

Checked on the box and it doesn't say not to be used in inserts.

So how do I tell fact from fiction.

If they shouldn't be used in inserts - why? What is it that they do to an insert that they don't do to a stove?

If you have a catalytic stove or insert you have to be careful of what things you burn because certain chemicals can damage the CAT. If its not a cat then any normal fire starters are going to fine. Not sure where you read not to use fire starters in inserts?

I have the rutland fire starters in 2 inch squares, too. It even say on the box thay can be used to start pellet stoves, also.

I occasionally use them for really hard to start fires in my wood stove & as a back up if the ignitor ever kaputs on my pellet stove.

Usually,I just stuff the remaining room in the firebox, after inserting my wood load, full of as many crumpled newspapers as I can cram in there, so the two boxes of fire starters i bought in sept are both 7/8 full.

They work great & get even the most stubron fire to burn. i only needed to use them twice this heating season.

So I guess that the only issue would be for catalytic stoves & the health of the cat.

Thanks for replies. My insert is not a cat so from what I have read we are okay here with what we are doing.

Consider topic a done deal!!

THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.