Ryobi 4 ton splitter getting loud

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n1st

Jun 3, 2007
Enfield, CT
I've been very happy with this splitter so far. But 2 out of the last 3 times I've used it, it gets very lound as the ram is extended near the end of it's reach. It does this even if no log is being split. When I first got it, I opened up the air purge butterfly and even checked the volume of oil, which was fine. Anyone know why it's noisy?

Boss i can't do another log that size it's to big for me :ahhh:

Ha! Boss to spliter: that log was only 2 tons and you're rated for 4. Get back to work!

It does this even if there's no log and it's as powerful as ever. Strange!

Sounds like it could be a cavitation problem, are you running it with one end higher than the other?

Maybe by an inch or so, but my driveway is pretty level. What is cavitation (lack of fluid)?

Could it be temp related? Temp was about 40F when I was using it recently.

I'm pretty sure you have one end (probably the wedge end) higher. Mine will make a high pitch whining noise if it isn't level.

Thanks guys, I'll look at that closely next time I use it.

N1ST said:
Thanks guys, I'll look at that closely next time I use it.

n1st

Hows the splitter doing??

John

Status
Not open for further replies.