Ryobi splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdrcr56

Sep 8, 2006
So I was wondering, last fall it seems a lot of people bought Ryobi 4 ton splitters. How much have you split and did anyone have any problems? I've split about 4 1/2 cords with no problems, mostly elm, cottonwood and russian olive. I've also gone through a couple cans of pam on the wedge, which helps al ot on the bigger stubborn pieces.

I had just purchased the Northern Tool 5.5 ton electric splitter to get me going. Since I don't know how much wood we will be burning, I wanted to see how much we would consume and then match the demand with the compatible splitter.

I have heard nothing but excellent reviews in the past on the little Ryobi 4 ton splitter. While 4 tons sounds very tiny, remember that 8k lbs of force!. It seems that if your not in a super hurry, the 4 tons is plenty of power to split just about anything as long as you work within the machines limits. I believe its good up to 18 or 20 inch long logs and about 10 or 12 inches wide.

While there are some huge diameter trees out there, they are not the norm. Most of the soft pine trees which we have around here are no more than 10 to 12 inches diam. The Northern Tool 5.5 ton electric splitter is on sale now for $239.00 so I could'nt resist the temptation; I should receive it in the next few days. It seems that many people have started out with these little splitters and planned to upgrade to a bigger splitter later however they never did as they liked the performance and abilities of these little guys.

I am looking forward to see how mine works; I'll let you all know.

My Ryobi held up pretty well. The electric cord casing broke where it goes into the unit. No biggie., when its cold out, say below freezing, the unit runs much slower and the piston wouldn't come out all the way unless perfectly level. It did the expected job, no more, no less. Works for me. I had realistic expectations, and it did just as I needed.

Good thread, I'm looking forward to following it. I purchased mine a few weeks ago, so haven't used it much yet, but sure do like it so far.

bought one a few weeks ago and it's done pretty well - the posts are 10 feet high and i need to learn how to stack a little better BUT it can and will go though some big stuff if you don't try to go right down the middle

Attachments

• wood pile (Small).jpg
    wood pile (Small).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,353
  • wood 006 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    wood 006 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,348
Holy crap Steve!, did you get through those big rounds with that little splitter?, if so, thats gonna silence a lot of people!!. BTW, how long did it take you to amass that pile?

:) i did - i've been working on this pile for about 4 weekends now - BUT i must say that i cut the rounds small (no bigger than 14 inches) because my insert is small and its best not to try to go right down the middle of the bigger ones but rather take a split off the sides so they are easier to split

Steve, what kind of wood have you been splitting and what would you say cord wise you have there. Also have you tried cooking spray on the wedge yet, it helps on the big tough pieces.

I’ve been bucking mostly red oak, white oak, ash and hickory..

I’d guess I have around 2.5 cords give or take

haven’t tried the pam trick yet – but again, I haven’t have any problems with the splitter.

the only time it won’t go through the big rounds is if I try to go right down the center of a BIG round. BUT if I start taking splits off the sides

I split @ 3 cords of sweet gum 6-8" dia. anything over it would not touch. It start leaking fuild so I took it back
to H-D and they replaced it. Now I rent a gas spiltter now when I get a lot of wood and I'll use the Ryoi to split the pieces smaller in the fall/winter.
I over all agree with Hogwildz about the spiltter. It is not going to replace a 20 ton gas splitter and thats ok.

johnsopi said:
I split @ 3 cords of sweet gum 6-8" dia. anything over it would not touch. It start leaking fuild so I took it back
to H-D and they replaced it. Now I rent a gas spiltter now when I get a lot of wood and I'll use the Ryoi to split the pieces smaller in the fall/winter.
I over all agree with Hogwildz about the spiltter. It is not going to replace a 20 ton gas splitter and thats ok.

Three cords of sweet gum!! That would kill anything under a twenty+ ton splitter. You now have the knarliest woodpile on hearth.com. I guarantee it.

I have some sweet gums on the place and they are rubber trees with a maximum twist.

The sweet gum is not as bad as Black gum, that stuff is bad. With the sweetgum I used a hand ax to help the the spiltter along. I think that did I tare it up more then I should have. But I wanted to see how it would work while it was under the return policy. It did good.

Well, I had *finally* received my Northern tool 5.5 ton log splitter today (after having to track it down since UPS delivered it to the wrong address), and just when I thought I would finally get to split my first piece, we had noticed that the shipping box that UPS delivered was a hair shy of demolished!.

Upon opening up the box, it was evident that the new splitter was ruined in transit. The motor was smashed, the legs bent and one of the wheel hub caps was torn off.

I have had issues with UPS before, but this was ridiculous. Now I have to wait until monday morning to file a damage claim, and thats after waiting an additional 4 days to find the package to begin with. Fortunately the people who had received my package were nice enough to look up my phone number and inform me that they had it.

I've heard other horror stories dealing with people receiving busted up packages from UPS but this was incredible.

Well, sorry folks, I can't review my new little splitter as it arrived smashed. Hopefully it won't take to long to get a replacement.

I love my Ryobi. Perfect size to sit it on my truck tailgate and split wood I bring home.

I've always vertically split. Mostly because 18" long, 20" rounds can be damn heavy. What systems have you worked out to feed the rounds in the horizontal position? Brute force? Ramp?

I get a lot of things shipped in by UPS for my business. They are usually very good and I've had very few damage problems. I do notice that the heavier the box is, the more it seems to get mysteriously beat up in shipping.

Well, here it is, almost 2 weeks later and I just received my second log splitter from Northern tool. Yes, you guessed it, it's smashed too!!!.

The rear axle is bent at a 45* angle, the carry handle is broken off, the log tray has been speared, and the cooling fins on the motor are bent. This little log splitter seems to be very nice, if it would just arrive in one (unbroken) piece!.

Northern Tool is being very cooperative about the whole thing and I am positive the damage is caused during shipping by UPS.. The problem is that they are shipping a 100+ lb machine in just a cardboard box and the weight of the machine absolutely destroys the box during shipping.

Northern Tool is going to send yet another (3rd one) log splitter to me but this time they suggested to have it shipped via a trucking line. It will take another 1.5-2 weeks to arrive, but if it's in one piece, it will be worth it.

FYI; shipping anything very heavy via a cardboard box is asking for trouble. Anything over 50lbs or so should probably be crated in wood and packed in thick styrofoam to offset the rough handling.

To be cont!

Just wait until you see how freight companies handle wood stoves. Mine came in with the box looking like they rolled the trailer and it had smashed through the pallet.

That is why I drove down to the factory to pick up the replacement after I discovered the door defect.

One freight company has a warehouse down in Richmond. Completely filled with damaged crap and they hold two auctions a month moving the stuff out and the place is still always full.

A place I worked at a few years ago did a lot of computer refurbs, and had a big department for monitor repairs. The monitor repair guys kept saying that alot of the damage they were seeing on warrantee jobs looked to them like UPS shipping damage - PC boards broken loose, cracked frames, etc. but no damage on the outside of the case and the box was beat up. Couldn't prove it enough to really nail UPS though, at least not until the day we caught, both by eye witness and on the security camera tapes, a UPS driver LOBBING a monitor (prominently marked "fragile" and "this side up" on all six sides of the box....) out of his truck and across our loading dock... I beleive it was a "carreer altering moment" for the driver, but it definitely changed our relationship w/ UPS - for some reason they'd pay off on damage claims everytime we played the tape for them... :red:

That said, I think I've had as much problem with truck damaged items as I have with UPS damaged on a percentage basis.

Gooserider

FYI:

I had just received my new stove from Tom the chimney sweep and it was delivered by truck (NOT UPS), and it arrived in perfect looking cond. Even the shrink wrap was perfectly in tact. I have not uncrated the stove yet, and may not for a month or so, but everything looks great so far.

I am waiting now on my 3rd log splitter from Northern tool as this time they are shipping it via a trucking co. We have lost toal confidense in UPS and what they are willing to deliver is laughable.

The last two boxes from them were absolutely destroyed. The contents inside were even worse, including bent 1/4'' thick metal. Somehow, they translated "fragile" into bending 1/4'' thick metal!!. Unbelievable!

Mr_Super-Hunky said:
FYI:

I had just received my new stove from Tom the chimney sweep and it was delivered by truck (NOT UPS), and it arrived in perfect looking cond. Even the shrink wrap was perfectly in tact. I have not uncrated the stove yet, and may not for a month or so, but everything looks great so far.

I am waiting now on my 3rd log splitter from Northern tool as this time they are shipping it via a trucking co. We have lost toal confidense in UPS and what they are willing to deliver is laughable.

The last two boxes from them were absolutely destroyed. The contents inside were even worse, including bent 1/4'' thick metal. Somehow, they translated "fragile" into bending 1/4'' thick metal!!. Unbelievable!

The aren't call United Package Smashers for nothing.

Mr S-H..........Did ya happen to take any pics of the smashed UPS stuff to post here ? Based on all the great stuff I have read about the Ryobi splitter, friend and I are talking bout going 50/50 on one...........

I had just yesterday received my third Splitter from Northern Tool. Since the last two times they had sent it UPS the box had gotten demolished, they agreed to this time ship it via truck.

When the truck arrived with the splitter, I knew something was wrong from the start. Once again, the box was all beat up and the innevitable lie inside! Yup, you guessed it, another smashed splitter. This is now the third splitter that arrived smashed.

Since this one did'nt seem to have actual motor damage, I may just take it and possibly get a reduction in price.

The saga continues...

Mr_Super-Hunky said:
I had just yesterday received my third Splitter from Northern Tool. Since the last two times they had sent it UPS the box had gotten demolished, they agreed to this time ship it via truck.

When the truck arrived with the splitter, I knew something was wrong from the start. Once again, the box was all beat up and the innevitable lie inside! Yup, you guessed it, another smashed splitter. This is now the third splitter that arrived smashed.

Since this one did'nt seem to have actual motor damage, I may just take it and possibly get a reduction in price.

The saga continues...

Are you sure that Northern isn't sending them out "Pre-smashed" :question:

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.