Ryobi weed wacker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a StihlHead, but not when it comes to trimmers.

Find me an FS85RX and swap the gearbox for the FS100RX unit and that might change your mind..... Gonna be light, powerful and smooth as all get out. ::-)

I dunno, grass mostly. I guess I just push my stuff hard and don't baby it around?

Find me an FS85RX and swap the gearbox for the FS100RX unit and that might change your mind..... Gonna be light, powerful and smooth as all get out. ::-)

You gonna go through all that for a string trimmer? I had an FS85 with the bike handles. V-i-b-r-a-t-i-o-n central. We had a rule to only use it for an hour at a time, or we would be buzzing for several hours. Hard on teeth fillings, joints, and tendons. I had to tear it down many times for many reasons. Had to replace several parts and actually had to get it serviced at the dealer (I hate doing that). It did run forever and we beat the living crap out of it on a sheep farm, but... not my choice in trimmers, thank you.

While my Redmax may not be as powerful as the FS85 (1 HP vs. 1.2 HP) it is so much smoother it is silly. It also starts far easier, runs effortlessly and goes and goes. It is also 2.5 pounds lighter. RedMax simply beats Stihl in trimmers. Or rather, Stihl beats itself with trimmer vibration, not unlike the 180 chainsaw (one of the worst when it comes to high vibration, second only to the 880!).

That FS85 sounds like it had a Chinese affliction... Sum Ting Wong.

I had a stihl fs45 for 8 years and just upgraded to a fs90 . The fs45 is still running and I gave it to my uncle , I bought the fs90 to have the option of the interchangeable equipment heads and the fs90 holds a lot more line .

My Ryobi like yours also lasted about 2 years. Observing a neighbor's experience (who had once owned a lawn service operation), I switched to a Black & Decker 12 volt battery powered weed whacker. What a good decision. Highly recommended.

I like my Ryobi 18v battery powered trimmer. Cleans up my 3/4 acre just fine and never runs out of juice before I'm done.
I try to limit my gas tools when I can. I'm kind of obsessive about making sure gas doesn't go bad in things and gum up the carbs.

That FS85 sounds like it had a Chinese affliction... Sum Ting Wong.

Nope. We had it in and out of jail at the local Stihl dealer when it was revamped. It was completely re-parted by the time I left my ex's place. It had a lot of hours on it, and it ran, but... it was breakdown prone and very vibration prone. And not unique from the reviews that I have read and posts on other forums over the years. Many Stihl trimmer reviews mention that Stihls have high vibration issues.

Stihl has been slow to deal with AV, and only the competition from Husky and European AV laws have forced them to improve on that. I do not understand their releasing the 461 with rubber mounts and high vibration. WTF is that about? The 461 is a vast improvement over the 460 saw which was/is really terrible for vibration. I sold my 460 rather quickly after buying it and I beefed up my far lower vibe 044 with the DP muffler which I still have. My 372 was miles ahead on either saw when it comes to vibration. Its smooth as glass. The 361 is similar. Which has me baffled about the 461... the 361 is smooth, the 441 is even smoother, even the 211 and 261 are spring mounted low vibe saws... and then the come out with a rubber bushed high vibe 461??

No Ting Wong. Stihl Same Bad Vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.