S/S liner install ??????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsemclarney

Feb 6, 2007
I need to install a 316 Ti (Titanium) liner in my good condition terra cota lined chiminey

Do I need to use insulation, If yes do I need it all the way up?

Thanks Tom
Lopi answer insert

a debate may soon follow, and I'll ask the question that needs answered to start: is your chimney on the inside or outside of your house?

If on the outside, the general recommendation is to insulate - what's the size of the flue? The next question of course is that it's big enough to fit a liner plus insulation.

Technically, code seems to say that to be NFPA211 compliant, you have to insulate. It's a bit fuzzy if the chimney itself is compliant, in good shape, etc.

However I can't think if a case where insulation will hurt you, so IMHO the only reason not to use insulation is if it physically won't fit. With commonly used sizes of things, this is generally only an issue if trying to put a 6" liner down an 8/8 flue tile - in that case the clearance is tight to begin with, and if the tiles aren't lined up, or if there are big mortar blobs between the tiles you can have a problem with insulation.

It is also important to have top and bottom blockoff plates

Gooserider

For draft purposes it really depends on where you live and how cold it gets. Neither of my liners in my outside masonry chimney are insulated and they draft like crazy. Too crazy some of the time.

They are insulated the first two feet on the bottom and four feet on the top.

I'll fuel the fiire...pun intended ;-)

I do not have my 23' exterior chimney lined and it drafts like crazy.

MrGriz said:

Hi,

I just bought my liner and insulation here:

http://chimneylinerinc.com/

for the insulation, I got 25 ft of 1/2" thick insulation (good for 5" or 6" diameter liner), adhesive and wire mesh for about $249. Also, if you have the room in the flue liner, get the 1/2" thick stuff instead of the 1/4"......I think the 1/2" gives it the UL 2100 deg F rating in case some of your flue tiles are damaged......

MrGriz said:

Same here. Must be the Oz eh?

One person said it's cheap. Uhhh really?????? Not anywhere I looked.
It's as much or more than the liner.

I believe it depends on the chimney.

Evidently cheap is a relative term; and in this case, it's not one of my relatives. ;-)

For the added expense, I decided to try it without the insulation and add it later if needed. I know that would mean removing and re-installing the liner, but as it turns out it was well worth the gamble.

Note the original poster never answered what his current flue size is. He also never said why he needs to re-line
nor did he say what size flue collar or what he is going to attach to the liner some stoves are equiped with 8" flue collars.
without knowing his situation every response is a guess. For those waiting for the debate there is no info to debate

elkimmeg said:
Note the original poster never answered what his current flue size is. He also never said why he needs to re-line
nor did he say what size flue collar or what he is going to attach to the liner some stoves are equiped with 8" flue corrars.
without know his situation every response is a guess. For those waiting for the debate there is no info to debate

True in this case, however is what I said earlier accurate?

1. Insulation might or might not help, but it won't HURT you?
2. Strictly speaking, the insulation is needed for NFPA 211 compliance
3. The only really good reason NOT to use it is if it physically won't fit in that tile/liner combination

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.