safe or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mascoma

Feeling the Heat
Jul 23, 2008
Upper Valley NH
Was cleaning stove pipe and chimney today and noticed something odd.

The joint between my metal chimney set up that comes thru the wall and the stove pipe collar has a gasket and motar around it (inside the brick mantle) that is starting to fall apart. This seems unsafe. Does it need to be repaired before I burn again? Is the repair something a semi-handy guy can do?

Thanks
Tony

not looking at it but, buy some sair set or use fireclay mortar and re-pack it using a putty knife or equilvent

is this where the black stove pipe enters a terra cotta clay thimble?

nuke08 said:
is this where the black stove pipe enters a terra cotta clay thimble?

Yes only its not a clay thimble, it goes into a metalbestos thimble/chimney. The stove pipe colar actually sits inside the brick hearth but just buts up to the stainless steel thimble unit with motar around the joint.

Is the connector piping also Metalbestos? If this is a Metalbestos thimble, then the connector pipe should also be Metalbestos and not require mortar.

from what I can tell the metalbestos comes thru the wall but ony to the back of the brick harth. It butts up to a single wall stove pipe colar that is the width of the brick. This colar is the female part the male stovepipe mounts into.

I'm thinking at a min. I need to remotar the joint and the more I look at it... the more I think it should all get ripped out to make sure it is done right... If you had seen some of the wiring I've found in this house you would understand.

If my wife ever kept the camera in the same place twice it would make this all alot easier to explain.

when you said 'butts up to it' are you talking about the trim collar that slides freely up to the metalbestos pipe covering the end of it?. anything else should be a male/female type of arrangement

nuke08 said:
when you said 'butts up to it' are you talking about the trim collar that slides freely up to the metalbestos pipe covering the end of it?. anything else should be a male/female type of arrangement

The trim colar must be what I am looking at, it does move but I figured that was only because the motar was falling apart.

mascoma said:
from what I can tell the metalbestos comes thru the wall but ony to the back of the brick harth. It butts up to a single wall stove pipe colar that is the width of the brick. This colar is the female part the male stovepipe mounts into.

I'm thinking at a min. I need to remotar the joint and the more I look at it... the more I think it should all get ripped out to make sure it is done right... If you had seen some of the wiring I've found in this house you would understand.

If my wife ever kept the camera in the same place twice it would make this all alot easier to explain.
the metalbestos pipe should protrude out past the brick face a min of 6" i believe. this could be the problem.

Col. mustard... in the library... with the rope

Nuke thanks,
I like your signature. The reason I'm cleaning this thing myself is the local sweeps want $250 minimum to clean a flue which they can due, and have done in the past in 15 minutes from the ground level. I used to think I was paying for their safety knowlege but 2 different ones have had this apart before and never mentioned it was not right.

mascoma said:
Nuke thanks,
I like your signature. The reason I'm cleaning this thing myself is the local sweeps want $250 minimum to clean a flue which they can due, and have done in the past in 15 minutes from the ground level. I used to think I was paying for their safety knowlege but 2 different ones have had this apart before and never mentioned it was not right.
does the metalbestos pipe protrude past the brick face into the room a few inches?

Mascoma,
Where you from. Canaan, Etna, Enfield? I'm a Plymouth State Grad. and know some people who went to or are from Mascoma. I guess I just remember hearing the name...is it a high school or a town. Love it up there.

.[/quote] does the metalbestos pipe protrude past the brick face into the room a few inches?[/quote]

Metalbestos ends at at the BACK of the brick, there is a single wall collar the width of the brick, nothing protrudes past the brick when single wall stove pipe is not in place.

mannybeingmanny said:
Mascoma,
Where you from. Canaan, Etna, Enfield? I'm a Plymouth State Grad. and know some people who went to or are from Mascoma. I guess I just remember hearing the name...is it a high school or a town. Love it up there.

I live in Enfield, Grew up in Lebanon. I have lived in other parts of the country and always ended up back home, it is nice up here.
Alot of kids from here go to Plymouth, I got all silly and went to UNH.
There is a Mascoma Lake, Mascoma River, and Mascoma Regional High School. The kids in the school are from Enfield, Canaan, Grafton, Orange, Dorchester towns.
I have a nice view of the lake from my house.

mascoma said:
mannybeingmanny said:
Mascoma,

I live in Enfield, Grew up in Lebanon. I have lived in other parts of the country and always ended up back home, it is nice up here.
Alot of kids from here go to Plymouth, I got all silly and went to UNH.
There is a Mascoma Lake, Mascoma River, and Mascoma Regional High School. The kids in the school are from Enfield, Canaan, Grafton, Orange, Dorchester towns.
I have a nice view of the lake from my house.

Sounds nice. Lots of good skiing within a short drive too. I'm envious. Be well.

Status
Not open for further replies.