Safety First !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShawnLiNY

Burning Hunk
Dec 13, 2018
Ny
Not mine

Attachments

• 9F453C43-9E02-430C-85BE-9913736C7C74.png
    9F453C43-9E02-430C-85BE-9913736C7C74.png
    420 KB · Views: 390
Heat before cold (it was -30 outside)
hot russian stove.jpg

Wow never seen one glow like those ones! Used to be common growing up on our old 4cuft + scrhader to have a small glowing patch right in the middle of the back panel on a cold night. After 35+ years it finally burned through there, and that was with a large amount of salt water drift wood burned in the mix as we lived on an island.

Heat before cold (it was -30 outside)
View attachment 237728
Wow never seen one glow like those ones! Used to be common growing up on our old 4cuft + scrhader to have a small glowing patch right in the middle of the back panel on a cold night. After 35+ years it finally burned through there, and that was with a large amount of salt water drift wood burned in the mix as we lived on an island.
the photo I posted was supposedly the result of 2 pieces of kiln dried wood , he must have had underfire air open for a long time , I can only imagine the horror of smelling that overheating

The Russian tent stove is stainless steel and they reportedly ran it like that every night. Such is camping in Siberia.

Like I said in last year's thread, when I was in Korea we had tent heaters that ran on jet fuel or diesel. They were run red-hot pretty often, and never seemed to mind. They didn't seem to warp or crack or such.

In a related anecdote, try not to be in one of those tents with a clumsy drunk guy, because the stovepipe tends to be hastily assembled in the dark without screws. Should some unfortunate idjit blunder into it in the middle of the night, it gets unpleasant in the tent in a hurry. Interesting to wake up to. :|

That guy got called some imaginative names that night, but in his case probably nothing he hadn't heard before. :p

Anyone know what the original photo is of? Some kind of homemade fireplace with no door?

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
Like I said in last year's thread, when I was in Korea we had tent heaters that ran on jet fuel or diesel. They were run red-hot pretty often, and never seemed to mind. They didn't seem to warp or crack or such.

In a related anecdote, try not to be in one of those tents with a clumsy drunk guy, because the stovepipe tends to be hastily assembled in the dark without screws. Should some unfortunate idjit blunder into it in the middle of the night, it gets unpleasant in the tent in a hurry. Interesting to wake up to. :| if you’re asking about the photo I posted it isn’t very clear but appears to be a cast iron

That guy got called some imaginative names that night, but in his case probably nothing he hadn't heard before. :p

Anyone know what the original photo is of? Some kind of homemade fireplace with no door?

In a related anecdote, try not to be in one of those tents with a clumsy drunk guy, because the stovepipe tends to be hastily assembled in the dark without screws. Should some unfortunate idjit blunder into it in the middle of the night, it gets unpleasant in the tent in a hurry. Interesting to wake up to. :|

It’s some type of cast potbelly or cookstove I don’t think the door is missing , I got the impression that he had underfire air open

Gotta run 'em hard for a clean burn.

I have heard few good stories about Korea.

Reactions: ShawnLiNY