Salt question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
i am probably overthinking this one by far, but here goes. I remove a little bit of ash daily from my insert. I use an old sauce pan, which I can cover, and then immediately bring out back to empty into coveredmetal pail on stone patio. I will usually set the sauce pan down on patio, so I can open the covered metal pail. With recent snow, I have been setting the sauce pan on the existing snow before opening up the metal pail. After I am done, I will put the empty saucepan on my basement concrete floor with the bottom of it a little wet from the snow. I have noticed that, with snow having dried off, there is what looks like some salt deposit left on the floor when I pick the saucepan up. This is a bit odd due to the back patio not being salted. The only reason I care about any of this has to do with the idea that salt can be corrosive and that my routine is to hold the saucepan in the insert in the morning to remove ashes. While the saucepan bottom does not make much contact with the bed of ashes, I suppose some contact occurs here and there without me being aware of it. I will be washing the bottom of the saucepan at this point. So, my question is, given what's been written on this site about how salt is bad for stoves and chimneys, would any of you think this will effect my stove/liner? Or is this some overthinking on my part?

Over thinking it man

Efflorescence

You are seeing mineral deposits from the water and possibly some ash residue.