Stovetop Cleaning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
I have a Regency Insert. Up until last week I had a pot on top of the stove to hold water and humidify the room a bit. The pot has Riveted handles. I am on well with hard water so my softening system puts a lot of sodium into the water. Consequently, I get a lot of sediment etc in the pot. Last week I noticed the pot was leaking from one of the handles. Apparently the salt corroded the rivet. Now I have a white water stain on top of my insert. I have not had a chance to run the stove cold yet, so the best I could do was to try to wash it on a morning restart. This has proved fruitless. Any idea how I can remove the water stain without compromising the paint on the top of the insert?

Vinegar
Nature's cleanser.

can you post a pic of the stain?
I think it is mostly salt residue from the water softening system. You should see what forms inside of my wife's tea kettle

stain.jpeg