Q&A Same Chimney as Furnace for stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I love woodburning stoves and would like one in my basement. The basement, like most, is cold and drafty. Thus, for my own enjoyment and for heating purposes I would like to put woodburning stove in the basement to help keep the basement livable. Is it at all possible to use the same chimney as the normal furnace uses( which is also in the basement and located close to where I would like to put the stove)? The chimney is brick. If I can't, is there any way I can make use of the existing chimney, or do I just need to build a brand new system?

Answer:

It's best for a woodstove to use its own chimney. That can cost a bundle, but it's really the only way to go. If your furnace is gas, you might be able to install a lower cost chimney for your furnace and then use your brick chimney for the stove...this might save some $$

Status
Not open for further replies.