Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen Glass Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
It happens to us all.
You drop your phone and it lands face down on concrete
You cautiously flip it over and your heart sinks.
Big crack down the middle of the screen. Sharp pieces cut your fingers. Etc.

Well, I didn't have the phone insurance and from what I hear it still cost you money to get them fixed even if you have it.

Checking around I saw prices of around $150.00 to replace the glass.

Googled it and found a bunch of sites and YouTube vids on how to do it yourself.

I figured WTH and ordered a kit from Amazon for $15.00

About all you need is a high powered hair dryer (or heat gun), Some alcohol, wipes, soft lint free cloth (Lens cleaner), and about 1-1/2 hours.

The kit I bought included the Glass, Adhesive gasket, Tools, plastic pry bars, and decent instructions.

Kit was from IParts Outlet and it arrived in 2 days for $14.99 plus shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C1BPLAA/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Basically......
I removed the back.

Pulled out the battery, sim card and memory card.

I also opened the case and removed the motherboard and daughter board but after doing it I don't think you need to.

Using the hair dryer (1000 watt) I put the phone in front of it about 3" away and heated the glass for about 15 minutes.

Using the prybars and guitar pick included I gently lifted a corner of the screen glass.

Once you get a corner lifted you can see an air pocket develop between the adhesive and the glass.

You gently slide the prybars and pick around and get the air pocket to move. Use the heat as necessary and take your time. It took me about 1 hour to get all of the glass pulled off in pieces. Be very careful not to scratch/damage the black digitizer below the glass. Pry from the sides as much as possible.

In my case there was a black adhesive gasket around the perimeter and a clear underfill between the glass and the digitizer. The heat softened both up.

Be extra careful at the bottom of the screen as there are two buttons attached to the glass that need to be gently pried off with heat.

Once the glass is off you can use alcohol/cotton swabs/soft cloth to remove any residual adhesive.

Let the phone cool off and the alcohol to dry.

In the kit is a replacement gasket/adhesive on a backer.

Lay that into the perimeter as shown in the instructions. I had to cut the backer away from the button ribbon area for it to fit flat.

Once the gasket is in place....remove the top sheet and prepare for the glass.

Pull off the inside layer of protector from the glass.

Lay it into place on the gasket.

Make sure you have it lined up and all buttons in place the press it firmly into place.

Replace the battery/sim card/memory.

Power it up and check it out for functions.

Pour a beverage of your choice and celebrate saving yourself a bunch of $$$.

There is a method where you also replace the underfill (Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive)
And if I do it again, I may do that. But to get back up and running I just used what was provided in the kit.

On a scale of 1-10 difficulty I rate it about a 7. Lower if you are familiar with electronics and good with your hands.

Hope this helps someone,
---Nailer----

thanks for the info. if it happens to me i will do the same. i didn't know a new glass could be ordered. what i use now is a otter box cover. best cover on the market. this cover surrounds the phone it can be dropped with no damage. i have had my phone on my lap and got out of my truck 3 times and the phone hit the pavement each time with no damage.

It happens to us all.
You drop your phone and it lands face down on concrete
You cautiously flip it over and your heart sinks.
Big crack down the middle of the screen. Sharp pieces cut your fingers. Etc.

Well, I didn't have the phone insurance and from what I hear it still cost you money to get them fixed even if you have it.

Checking around I saw prices of around $150.00 to replace the glass.

Googled it and found a bunch of sites and YouTube vids on how to do it yourself.

I figured WTH and ordered a kit from Amazon for $15.00

About all you need is a high powered hair dryer (or heat gun), Some alcohol, wipes, soft lint free cloth (Lens cleaner), and about 1-1/2 hours.

The kit I bought included the Glass, Adhesive gasket, Tools, plastic pry bars, and decent instructions.

Kit was from IParts Outlet and it arrived in 2 days for $14.99 plus shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C1BPLAA/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Basically......
I removed the back.

Pulled out the battery, sim card and memory card.

I also opened the case and removed the motherboard and daughter board but after doing it I don't think you need to.

Using the hair dryer (1000 watt) I put the phone in front of it about 3" away and heated the glass for about 15 minutes.

Using the prybars and guitar pick included I gently lifted a corner of the screen glass.

Once you get a corner lifted you can see an air pocket develop between the adhesive and the glass.

You gently slide the prybars and pick around and get the air pocket to move. Use the heat as necessary and take your time. It took me about 1 hour to get all of the glass pulled off in pieces. Be very careful not to scratch/damage the black digitizer below the glass. Pry from the sides as much as possible.

In my case there was a black adhesive gasket around the perimeter and a clear underfill between the glass and the digitizer. The heat softened both up.

Be extra careful at the bottom of the screen as there are two buttons attached to the glass that need to be gently pried off with heat.

Once the glass is off you can use alcohol/cotton swabs/soft cloth to remove any residual adhesive.

Let the phone cool off and the alcohol to dry.

In the kit is a replacement gasket/adhesive on a backer.

Lay that into the perimeter as shown in the instructions. I had to cut the backer away from the button ribbon area for it to fit flat.

Once the gasket is in place....remove the top sheet and prepare for the glass.

Pull off the inside layer of protector from the glass.

Lay it into place on the gasket.

Make sure you have it lined up and all buttons in place the press it firmly into place.

Replace the battery/sim card/memory.

Power it up and check it out for functions.

Pour a beverage of your choice and celebrate saving yourself a bunch of $$$.

There is a method where you also replace the underfill (Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive)
And if I do it again, I may do that. But to get back up and running I just used what was provided in the kit.

On a scale of 1-10 difficulty I rate it about a 7. Lower if you are familiar with electronics and good with your hands.

Hope this helps someone,
---Nailer----

Oh MY!!! I have the exact same phone, BUT there is NO way in heck I'm spending an hour an half trying to do what you just did. Holy cow! You have patience...I think I'll just get another phone for $40....
I was actually wondering myself how much it would actually cost to replace the glass. I dropped mine about a month ago or so, spider fractured across the screen, made me sick:( I still haven't done anything about it yet. Thanks for the info...

Status
Not open for further replies.