Sandy can kiss my azz......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, I knew this was going to happen! Two minutes before kickoff on Monday night football the entire neighborhood loses power!!! Damn you sandy, Damn you!
Hang in there, buddy. It'll be OK.....

I agree Scotty. I had high hopes of sitting in the woods hard today and tomorrow but no way am I sitting in a tree with about 100 dead ash just waiting to topple over in this wind. The deer can wait. I do know the first thing I will do when I head back out is to look for fallen trees. Yea, I'm a wood horder. :D

Now that is a pile of heat waiting to be set free! When I looked at that, I recalled that old saying that went something like, "burning wood warms you twice, once when you cut and stack it, and once when you burn it". About how many cord there?

You forgot: When you fell it, buck it, load it, unload it, gather it for the stove.......Isn't that right Bogey Dave?

I woke up yesterday to a "ohchit!" moment. When I built the four cord wood shed and then added the new genny shed to the end of it I didn't attach the roof. And the rubber roofing has been holding it fine so I had forgotten with other stuff going on. In a mad dash I roped it down six ways from Sunday until the storm passes and I can finish the job. ;em
Just put 200 ft of boat anchor ropes to use on the tarps, hold down run around and zigzag, glamourous sight !

Scotty, now thats quite the labor stash to protect, great use of them there bricks !

Reactions: ScotO
Scotty , that's unfortunate ! As soon as the storm blows over , come on over to W. Pa . , I'll gladly give you a lesson in how to keep your stacks secure . Of course there will be a nominal charge of 1/2 cord of Locust . It can even be a bit wet ,as I understand your current lack of proper technique ! No need to thank me , it just the kind of guy that I am ! :) :)
Scotty ! You are missing the chance of a lifetime !!!!! You get to split and stack My wood at no risk to you financially ! I'm giving You the instate rate as well ! Out of state students have to contribute more .
(fine print )
each student is required to provide their own saw (in case it's a Stihl .... two ) . They shall also supply their own splitting device ,preferably hydraulic . If ,in the event that it's a Fiskars Maul , they have to split any Elm , Sycamore ,or sweet Gum that pollutes the class .:)

Neighbor said "The wood you could dry out but it is a good thing those generators didn't get wet.". To which I replied "You obviously don't heat the joint with wood. That is my winter fuel supply in that shed. Screw a couple of generators.".

Reactions: ScotO and Todd 2
Neighbor said "The wood you could dry out but it is a good thing those generators didn't get wet.". To which I replied "You obviously don't heat the joint with wood. That is my winter fuel supply in that shed. Screw a couple of generators.".
You Sir are Hardcore !!!!!!!!

jeez guys just saw a news report on this sandy situation on the news ( reports of it in australia } think thay said new york and such floods and damageges etc and 13 lives lost = not good in any way , thinking of those poor familys and there loses of there loved ones and hope you all stay safe ...... cheers guys

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
We got very lucky in my neck of the woods. I didn't notice any damage when I was out feeding this morning other than a mid sized poppel with a broken top. My prayers go out to those people in queens fighting the huge fire and in NJ where the levy broke.

We made it through fairly well so far, other than the woodstack covering incident and a tiny bit of water in the one room of our basement. Amazingly, we never lost power! It flickered a couple of times but never went out. From around 7:00pm last evening until the wee hours of this morning it sounded like a freight train was passing my house continuously all night long......that wind was insane! Unbelievably, we didn't lose any shingles or siding........others in our area weren't so fortunate. Lots of local power outages, huge downed trees, some collapsed buildings and even a big house fire that was a total loss. Makes me really feel for those that were in the coastal areas, my heart and prayers go out to them.

I know, pics or it didn't happen ;)

Didn't get a "before"pic, I was in a hurry to get it covered back up. In a normal rain, I wouldn't be too concerned about it getting a little wet. There calling for a HEAP of rain the next 24 hours, so I want that stuff to stay as dry as possible...

Took this pic through my back window....

View attachment 79161

You better get those leafs raked asap!

Stack is 12' wide, 5' high, and over 60' long........

and yes, I'm NUTS. :p I didn't start the Firewood Hoarder's Club for nothing!

View attachment 79163

Scotty, build yourself a nice woodshed bro. Then no worrys about tarps and tin and other stuff that can blow away.

Nice stacks tho !

Pat

Scotty, build yourself a nice woodshed bro. Then no worrys about tarps and tin and other stuff that can blow away.

Nice stacks tho !

Pat
That plan is in the works, Pat. Definitely gonna build a shed that is at least big enough for 8 cord of wood (one seasons supply plus). Were still in the design phase of that project.....;)

chiming in from my neck of the woods, no loss of electricity or water in the basement, no trees down yet, walked the dogs earlier and saw 2 young bucks...will start cutting shortly...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I saw a story on the Altoona news about two buildings that had bricks fall off of them. We had 4.5 inches of rain as of noon today. Fortunately, the high winds did not damage our home or our trees. Other than the newspaper, the only things that blew onto the lawn were a chimney cap (it did not fit securely) and two pieces of plywood from the top of a stack of wood. Many homes in the neighboring areas lost power for at least a short period of time. I'm thankful that there wasn't more damage but I would've really liked to have witnessed and all snow storm of Sandy's magnitude.

Here is a link to a photo of one of the buildings with missing bricks http://altoonamirror.com/page/conte...---Thousands-still-without-power.html?nav=742

Well, the one end is technically only 8' wide for a length. I calculated it to be closer to 25 cord.....

Still enough to make me certifiably NUTS!

Status
Not open for further replies.