Sandy can kiss my azz......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Well the wind finally showed up around 3:00 this afternoon, and when I got home from work the first thing I checked was the rubber roofing covers on the woodstack.

My stomach sank when I saw half of the cover was overturned, it picked up the heavy splits it was screwed down to and flipped over like it wasn't even anchored down! Thankfully, that section of the covering was over my 2014 wood, so it didn't matter, but the other half that it covers is this years' wood.

Years ago (in the 1950's to be exact) the local Pennsylvania Railroad station was torn down, and all the granite pavers that adorned the station were dozed into a local stream. Around 10 years ago, I went and retrieved around 300 of those pavers out of the stream to use as landscaping stones. Well, I had a nice stack of them left over, thankfully so too. I straightened up the rubber roofing and used those pavers to help hold down the covering through the storm. There's around 1000 pounds of granite now perched on top of my woodstack......

I know, pics or it didn't happen ;)

Didn't get a "before"pic, I was in a hurry to get it covered back up. In a normal rain, I wouldn't be too concerned about it getting a little wet. There calling for a HEAP of rain the next 24 hours, so I want that stuff to stay as dry as possible...

Took this pic through my back window....

2012-10-29_17-05-36_912.jpg

Glad to hear you got it all covered up again Scotty. Not too much action here in MA, the shop closed at Noon today and when I got home had some big branches down but still waiting for some good firewood to drop!
IMG_1887.JPG

Stay safe, buddy. Hunker down, gonna be a long 24 hours.....

Will do, you stay safe as well. I think you guys are getting it a little worse than us. Awesome looking stacks Scotty, holy crap!

Reactions: ScotO
Good thinking Scotty. Glad to see you have that back under cover. It is a good thing you had those pavers! We know there is no weight left in all those cases of beer! That would not of worked. ;) Just get those returned already. They are taking up valuable wood storage space!

You misspelled "kick".

if the rubber roof blows away now i would be worried!

Now THAT.......is a stack! Glad you got em covered back up. I'm hoping my lumber wraps hold on some of my stacks. We haven't got much wind here yet.

You misspelled "kick".
No, I spelled it right the first time. She may have given me a punch or two (there'll be some more "below-the-belters" before it's over, I'm sure), but we'll persevere through it......

I woke up yesterday to a "ohchit!" moment. When I built the four cord wood shed and then added the new genny shed to the end of it I didn't attach the roof. And the rubber roofing has been holding it fine so I had forgotten with other stuff going on. In a mad dash I roped it down six ways from Sunday until the storm passes and I can finish the job. ;em

I like the part of the story about the stones you went river diving for :)

Reactions: ScotO and PapaDave
Well the wind finally showed up around 3:00 this afternoon, and when I got home from work the first thing I checked was the rubber roofing covers on the woodstack.

My stomach sank when I saw half of the cover was overturned, it picked up the heavy splits it was screwed down to and flipped over like it wasn't even anchored down! Thankfully, that section of the covering was over my 2014 wood, so it didn't matter, but the other half that it covers is this years' wood.

Years ago (in the 1950's to be exact) the local Pennsylvania Railroad station was torn down, and all the granite pavers that adorned the station were dozed into a local stream. Around 10 years ago, I went and retrieved around 300 of those pavers out of the stream to use as landscaping stones. Well, I had a nice stack of them left over, thankfully so too. I straightened up the rubber roofing and used those pavers to help hold down the covering through the storm. There's around 1000 pounds of granite now perched on top of my woodstack......

Scotty , that's unfortunate ! As soon as the storm blows over , come on over to W. Pa . , I'll gladly give you a lesson in how to keep your stacks secure . Of course there will be a nominal charge of 1/2 cord of Locust . It can even be a bit wet ,as I understand your current lack of proper technique ! No need to thank me , it just the kind of guy that I am ! :) :)

May as well kick back and relax until the storm has passed.

Through some forecasters they said we also would get hit pretty hard but it appears we won't and that is fine with me. Supposed to be rain/snow mix tonight and tomorrow (not much) and some windy conditions but all less than 50 mph on the winds. I don't think I'll be sitting in a treestand for a while. I may have to retrieve a couple of wood covers but we'll see.

Just spoke with my mother up in the Cape they don't have power and no internets due to the powered router:eek:

And here you are fretting over a heavy-azz rubber roof covering blowing off a colossal pile of seasoned wood... yeah you've got it bad man:)

You in that band where they're predicting alot of snow? Hope that chevy has a plow, or that the plow has a Ford Chevy pushing it;)

Now that is a pile of heat waiting to be set free! When I looked at that, I recalled that old saying that went something like, "burning wood warms you twice, once when you cut and stack it, and once when you burn it". About how many cord there?

Damn, I knew this was going to happen! Two minutes before kickoff on Monday night football the entire neighborhood loses power!!! Damn you sandy, Damn you!

Status
Not open for further replies.