Sandy keeps giving

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowtech

Nov 27, 2012
CT
Came across a house about 2 -3 weeks ago that still had trees down on the lot and on the house from Sandy. after doing a drive by and seeing no one was living there I went over to the neighbor across the street. He told me the people who owed it had brought it to tear it down(this is a town where they put up Mc Manisons). He gave me the owners # who I called, this was 2 weeks ago and today she gave me the OK to start cutting.
The pictures are not the best but if you look hard at the one of the two trees you might make out the split in one of them as well as it's root ball being up. It was hard to get back to the one thats over by it self but I think it might be a red Oak. I've put up 3 shots of the tree thats on the lower roof to give some idea of the size.
I'll post more pictures as I get cutting.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 172
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 150
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 161
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 159
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 182
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: ScotO and raybonz
Great score - well worth the effort of getting permission! Should keep you busy for awhile.

Awesome score! Just be careful on those leaners.....we all know the potential energy that is trapped in those babies.

I'd be all over that job. How much time did they give you to do the work?

Great stuff LT - I would suggest getting an email address and explain your intentions so you get a response. If there ever is any question later you have something in writing. A conversation over the phone is great but who knows what may come later. Especially dealing with trees laying on the house. Simple CYA stuff.

Reactions: ScotO
I did a little cutting today. I'm thinking the first 2 pictures are maple and the second two are some type of Oak (white?). What I think is maple is light but wet when split. The Oak(?) smells like the Red Oak I got earlier this winter.
I have also exchanged emails with the home owner, thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• t7.jpg
    t7.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 165
  • t8.jpg
    t8.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 170
  • t9.jpg
    t9.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 122
  • t10.jpg
    t10.jpg