Sap everywhere!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Guyerst

Apr 8, 2012
West Michigan
Neighbor lost a large blue spruce in a storm the other day. Spent last weekend helping him with cutting it up and hauling away wants I didn't want to burn.

It was a healthy tree, and loaded with sap. It got on everything. Started trying to clean it off today, and seemed to be mostly spreading it around. Did some googling and have a couple ideas, but wanted to see if any of you have found something that works well. Want to get it off the saw, truck bed, rear window, door panel, seat, and aluminum trailer.

Thanks

Mayonnaise

Prevention of course is the best strategy. I process 8 to 10 cords of spruce annually.

The ideal spruce tree is healthy live standing, felled in feb onto heavy snow pack when it has warmed up to -20dF or so. Much colder than that youll have to cut your winter weigjt bar oil with kerosene, much warmer than that and the sap will be liquid enough to be thrown all over everything by the saw.

Get it split and stacked before the temp gets above freezing. That way all the sap-cicles will be right on the wood pile, you can break those off on really cold nights next winter and throw them in the stove.

For bare metal, clean up with gasoline.

For painted metal, clean up with gasoline followed with hot soapy water and then rinse.

Plastic door panel, try a generous slather of moisturizing hand lotion, then wash off with soap and water 24 hours later.

Probably you'll end up buying a seat cover.

Turpentine

My wife got spots of latex paint on her car once, and it came off quite successfully with isopropyl alcohol. Didn't hurt the clear coat one bit.
It's also environmentally sensitive since it evaporates.

We've used gasoline, carburetor cleaner, and even diesel. Diesel is the most pleasant to use.

Hand sanitizer works well also...does not run like the regular isopropyl alcohol does. Just have to let it set on it longer.

We've used gasoline, carburetor cleaner, and even diesel. Diesel is the most pleasant to use.

And turpentine is far more pleasant than diesel. And just as effective. Probably more effective but I've never compared them side by side.

I love the smell of turps. Diesel is tolerable but not that pleasant. And I hate the way the smell lingers. It's true, it's better than gasoline and carb cleaner. But that's not saying much, is it.

One thing to keep in mind with many of the those solvents mentioned is they are quite good at dissolving other products and carrying them along. They also tend to be absorbed rapidly by the skin and can end up in the blood stream where they needs to be flushed out via the kidneys or liver. One really should use appropriate gloves. PVC are the best but Nitrile will also work. Obviously low boiling point vapors and ignition points like hot exhausts and cigarettes is a real bad combination.

Turpentine has the annoying property that it will rapidly disassociate from water and float on the top. When running down a sewer line if there is sudden drop in the line like into a manhole the velocity of the turpentine relative to the water in the pipe at the point where it dumped in the manhole could and would generate sparks which would ignite the turpentine. My former employer had a few smoke rings formed out of the discharge of 300 foot stack by turpentine explosions in underground sewer lines.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Turpentine has the annoying property that it will rapidly disassociate from water and float on the top. When running down a sewer line...

Fer cryin' out loud! You're not supposed to dump it in the sewer even if it does come from trees! I didn't even do that 40 years ago. I thought that was common sense. It's flammable.

Here's what Wiki says:

"Turpentine (also called spirit of turpentine, oil of turpentine, wood turpentine and colloquially turps[1]) is a fluid obtained by the distillation of resin obtained from live trees, mainly pines. It is mainly used as a solvent and as a source of materials for organic synthesis."

In terms of safety gloves, yeah, if you want. I've used it for decades to clean paint off my hands. It's not effective if you put on gloves first. You have to apply it directly. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about medical uses of turps:

"Turpentine and petroleum distillates such as coal oil and kerosene have been used medicinally since ancient times, as topical and sometimes internal home remedies. Topically it has been used for abrasions and wounds, as a treatment for lice, and when mixed with animal fat it has been used as a chest rub, or inhaler for nasal and throat ailments. Many modern chest rubs, such as the Vicks variety, still contain turpentine in their formulations.

Taken internally it was used as a general cure-all treatment for intestinal parasites, and candida because of its antiseptic and diuretic properties.[10][11] Sugar, molasses or honey were sometimes used to mask the taste, and bait parasites.[citation needed]

Turpentine was a common medicine among seamen during the Age of Discovery. It is one of several products carried aboard Ferdinand Magellan's fleet in his first circumnavigation of the globe,[12] and is still used today as an alternative medicine."

Now I probably wouldn't drink it or rub it on my chest or open wounds unless I didn't have anything better available but I'm not too worried about getting a little bit on my hands once in a while.

Reactions: Soundchasm