AdamT Posted By AdamT, Nov 26, 2017 at 9:46 AM

1. AdamT

AdamT
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2014
    Loc:
    NW, Iowa
    I just picked up a used sar biomass corn stove for my shop and I don't know how to use it. We started a corn fire in the bottom pail and once it gets hot the blower fan kicks on, but the auger never feeds more corn to it. We assumed once it got hot it would start feeding feeding the fire.

It sounds like the company has closed and sold off their equipment.

Does anyone have a manual for this burner or any advice?

2. bob bare

bob bare
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    park county montana
  3. AdamT

AdamT
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2014
    Loc:
    NW, Iowa
  4. FirepotPete

FirepotPete
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Titletown U.S.A
    The high limit safety switch fan control has set points that will turn the blower on and off. On a call for heat by the thermostat, or in the cycle mode, if the low limit safety switch detects that the flue temperature is not high enough to allow the system a re-ignition source, the auger will not turn on.

That's where I'd start looking.

5. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
  6. AdamT

AdamT
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2014
    Loc:
    NW, Iowa
    This leads me to believe I'm not getting it hot enough for the auger to start. The large blower fan will kick on automatically when it gets up to a certain temp, but it's probably still not high enough for a re-ignition source.

There is another fan on the back that feeds air into the fire that hasn't turned on yet. It looks like it is wired into the computer, so I'm not sure how to get that to kick on and I'm pretty sure that is the reason I'm not getting high enough temps for the auger to kick on.

7. AdamT

AdamT
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2014
    Loc:
    NW, Iowa
  8. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    I would think a thermister or snap disk would be involved in the proof of fire but without the manual or wire diagram I cannot say for sure. The stove may be set up for corn only.

9. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    Adam can you take some pictures of the components in side the firebox and the back of the stove? So we could get a visual of whats involved, motors, snap disk’s .

10. AdamT

AdamT
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2014
    Loc:
    NW, Iowa
    Most of the corn burners I'm seeing online have a switch to turn on the burner fan once they've got the fire started. The wires on this one go straight to the computer and I don't see a switch for that fan anywhere. Is that common for these that they would have the burner fan fire up automatically, or should I keep looking for a switch?
    I'm tempted to wire the fan straight to an outlet just to make it turn on and see if the auger will run when it gets up to temp.

11. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    Take pics of the control board to.

12. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    we need to know what components your working with. I don’t recommend hot wiring anything yet. Unless you pull the motor and bench test to make sure it works

13. AdamT

AdamT
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2014
    Loc:
    NW, Iowa

14. AdamT

AdamT
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2014
    Loc:
    NW, Iowa
    This is the computer

Attached Files:

15. AdamT

AdamT
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2014
    Loc:
    NW, Iowa
    I pulled the fan off and tested it. I think I found the problem because it didn't budge. I got a replacement on order and it should be here wednesday

16. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    Ok that is a PLC (programmable Logic Controller). Lets hope it is still in good shape and not corroded up. Can you get some pics of the other components? Might have to take off some panels to see them

17. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    The bad fan, was that the combustion fan(exhaust)?

18. heat seeker

heat seeker
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2011
    Loc:
    Northern CT
    Those Fanucs are generally bulletproof, but expensive.

19. AdamT

AdamT
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2014
    Loc:
    NW, Iowa
    The bad fan was the one that feeds air to the fire. My exhaust fan works just fine

20. AdamT

AdamT
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2014
    Loc:
    NW, Iowa
    I cheated last night and hooked up a shop vac blower to the combustion tube and just kept an eye on it. It got the fire going well enough to start the auger. Everything was working except for the turn table the fire bucket sits on.

The new combustion fan came in today, so I have everything wired the way it's supposed to. The new fan comes on shortly after I turn the power on so that's working. Right now I'm just holding out hope that the turn table wasn't working because of the broken connection at the combustion fan, but I'm not too optimistic.

Right now I'm just happy to have a sustainable fire in there.

21. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    Nice!! we like pictures of thing that come back to life;)

22. AdamT

AdamT
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2014
    Loc:
    NW, Iowa
    I don't know if I'm ready to say it's come back to life yet, but it's definitely on it's way. I keep running out of fuel even once the augers started a few times. Maybe I need to put more fuel in when I start it to give it a head start. Tough to say without the manual. Just trial and error till I figure it out. Thanks for all of your help!

Attached Files: