Save me from Christmas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
Hey all I need some ideas on decorating for xmas. We have a corner lot, and normally I was covering just about every bush and tree with the smaller 100 string lights. This is getting old, as am I. And honestly, it looks a little busy. Not to mention when it rains, they go out because they are on gfci and Im using about 1/2 of the circuits wattage to run each area of lighting. I have plenty of timers and extension cords :)

Im looking to reduce the amount of time required here. I considered doing wreaths on all the windows, lights wrapped around a few shrubs/bushes with trees, spot lights on the wreaths, and maybe some electrocuted dear, or those tacky blow up things in the yard (my kids would love them they are still fairly young)

Even if it took me the same amount of time, it's less tedious than trying to test, cord, wrap, etc all those little lights. I was putting out 10k lights every year.

Hallp!

Vote for the blowup. Fast easy. Kids love them. Mine will hug Santa and Olaf every day they go by till after Xmas.

We call these Arlie trees. Take a rope toss over the highest limb you can. Tie 4 or 5 strands (female end) tot the rope and hoist up as high as you want (we hook two strands end to end. And pull up 30-40 feet. Spread out the strands on the ground so the make an Xmas tree shape and steak down. Looks great at night.

FEEB9CDE-25ED-43A5-883E-922957654CF3.jpeg

Vote for the blowup. Fast easy. Kids love them. Mine will hug Santa and Olaf every day they go by till after Xmas.

We call these Arlie trees. Take a rope toss over the highest limb you can. Tie 4 or 5 strands (female end) tot the rope and hoist up as high as you want (we hook two strands end to end. And pull up 30-40 feet. Spread out the strands on the ground so the make an Xmas tree shape and steak down. Looks great at night.

View attachment 301549
Ha I like that idea. I only have one semi tall tree on the corner of my house. Everything else is some sort of shrub of evergreen. I used to wrap this tree as far as I could reach prior

Ha I like that idea. I only have one semi tall tree on the corner of my house. Everything else is some sort of shrub of evergreen. I used to wrap this tree as far as I could reach prior
Ive seen shorter ones done from a guy wire from a house to a tree or pole. And they don’t have to be vertical either looks good from a single point on the eve too.

loose the outside lights and spend the $$ on making things better/cozier/warmer/... inside?

I never understood why we make things look nice for the wildlife outside at night (who prefer darkness anyway).

(Sorry to be the grinch here ;p )

loose the outside lights and spend the $$ on making things better/cozier/warmer/... inside?

I never understood why we make things look nice for the wildlife outside at night (who prefer darkness anyway).

(Sorry to be the grinch here ;p )
We do the inside fairly ok. No more live tree though. We like to drive through our hood looking at the lights. Inspires me not to be so grumpy

Reactions: stoveliker
Last time I decorated outside with lights I grabbed the tangled mass of lights and threw it on a bush. I told the family it was modern art. They read between the lines and figured I was over it.

The kid has asked me a couple times about lights and I told her that she can put them out if she wants. She hasn’t yet.

He'll I don't even put up a tree inside for the kid let alone decorate the outside
So my wife was lying when the told me everyone gets family matching PJ’s every Christmas;) one of kids picked out unicorns last year. I’m a good sport so I’ll keep going along with it but I’ll trust my gut next time.

That’s a win!

It’s something you can smile and giggle about for years!

Reactions: EbS-P