Saving Open Space from development

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Without zoning laws and controls there would be No Central Park, NYC, No Grand Canyon, No Muir Woods, No Yellowstone, No Hot Springs, No Golden Gate Park, No Sandy Hook park, No local parks, No neighborhood parks, And much more polluted water and lands,.... and.... No preserved land that you say you contributed to.
Everting is a trade off. Finding the balance is always the difficult task.

Yeah if you just want to keep going back in time. How did the native americans feel when your great great great grandparents stole America from them. Yes the water has been decided. There is barely enough for the 200 homes the water company supplies. They will not suplpy any water to the 550 proposed units. It's not sustainable. Endless growth chokes out everything around it. Nearby subdivisions with much less density have drawn water so low that residential wells have run dry. How would you like no water in your house?
I remember watching a PBS special a couple years ago about the fast coming water crisis out west...said at least in Cali that the farmers were having to drill their own commercial grade wells to provide enough water for their crops...and it was further depleting the aquifers, and at a faster pace than previously...not sustainable. Seems like whoever it was that predicted the next world war could be over water might not have been too far out in left field after all.

I remember watching a PBS special a couple years ago about the fast coming water crisis out west...said at least in Cali that the farmers were having to drill their own commercial grade wells to provide enough water for their crops...and it was further depleting the aquifers, and at a faster pace than previously...not sustainable. Seems like whoever it was that predicted the next world war could be over water might not have been too far out in left field after all.
Yeah the water and the water rights are crazy out west. In the East we have it so easy.

I'm pretty sure in our area in Utah we are not even supposed to have any rain barrels that catch any type of rain water. All of That water supposedly is for the farmers in our valley. Even if you use it to water a garden it's not allowed.

Nearby subdivisions with much less density have drawn water so low that residential wells have run dry. How would you like no water in your house?
Toward the end of the video there appears to be a large housing development in the distance. Looks like Long Island, with hills.

Even if you use it to water a garden it's not allowed.
Our county had that regulation up until recently. It was mainly driven by the health dept. IIRC, and has been removed.

Toward the end of the video there appears to be a large housing development in the distance. Looks like Long Island, with hills.
Yeah that's the West side of our valley. It's a bit closer to Powder Mountain and that area was the "Hot" area that the realtors pushed. That's where most of the condo's were, and are, being put up. Our side "The East Side" was considered "old" with houses from the 60's and 70's. 10 years ago this was considered "uncool". Now everyone thinks the former Cool "West" side has been destroyed by overdevelopment of condos. Now "our" side is the cool "newly discovered" place. So they are coming here to do the same thing and worse. Soon, this whole valley will be no different than everywhere else. It's lost (or losing) it's magic.

Yeah the water and the water rights are crazy out west. In the East we have it so easy.

I'm pretty sure in our area in Utah we are not even supposed to have any rain barrels that catch any type of rain water. All of That water supposedly is for the farmers in our valley. Even if you use it to water a garden it's not allowed.
Crazy. Call me a legal simpleton, but I thought I at least owned the rain that fell on my own property.

Most days I'm glad I live north of the 49th, and its issues like this that are why. In this case the property couldn't be developed as zoned, the property owner would not be allowed to be sit on a board to accept/reject the lands development or rezoning. Water would be required to be provided by the developer for such small lots, and connection to a municipal water system would be at the developers cost.

And yes we own the water that falls on our property.