Saw recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
T he easiest way to tell is if it is a clam shell crankcase it is a homeowner saw.
If it is a split crankcase where you can remove the cylinder without splitting the crankcase it is a pro saw.
So turn the saw upside down if you can see 4 bolt heads that go towards the top of the saw its a clam shell
Could you elaborate on that a bit. Maybe two good photos, one of each, just to get a rough idea of what you are refering to. Most of us don't make a habit of pulling saws apart for fun, at least not what I've seen here.

Last edited:
I bought a 271 and cut 10 cords with it and traded it for a 261. Same bar 18”, same chains. Seat of the pants feels like it has about 20% more power and is a lot more spirited and lighter feel too. The 271 is fine and probably more practical for the occasional firewood cutter but the 261 is so much fun in comparison. How far do you want to take this hobby?

The I sent the 261 to mastermind work saws for there work saw mods. Which doesn’t detract from longevity. It came back with 1/3 more power than it left with, and I can’t stop smiling.

The bought a new 462 72cc saw ran 3 tanks though it and thought that’s a hell of a improvement from the 261 but what the heck sent it to mastermind and holy smokes unreal. But what I did realize is that I use the 261 more because it is lighter and just more nimble.

If you do a 261 and if you do modify it, if you get the occasional large tree and the double cut is just not practical, what I did before I got the 462, is I bought a kit for the 261 to quick change it to a 28” bar. ( rim spocket, bar and chain). With the extra ponies it will pull a longer bar, not great but not be either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought a 271 and cut 10 cords with it and traded it for a 261. Same bar 18”, same chains. Seat of the pants feels like it has about 20% more power and is a lot more spirited and lighter feel too. The 271 is fine and probably more practical for the occasional firewood cutter but the 261 is so much fun in comparison. How far do you want to take this hobby?

The I sent the 261 to mastermind work saws for there work saw mods. Which doesn’t detract from longevity. It came back with 1/3 more power than it left with, and I can’t stop smiling.

The bought a new 462 72cc saw ran 3 tanks though it and thought that’s a hell of a improvement from the 261 but what the heck sent it to mastermind and holy smokes unreal. But what I did realize is that I use the 261 more because it is lighter and just more nimble.

If you do a 261 and if you do modify it, if you get the occasional large tree and the double cut is just not practical, what I did before I got the 462, is I bought a kit for the 261 to quick change it to a 28” bar. ( rim spocket, bar and chain). With the extra ponies it will pull a longer bar, not great but not be either!

Who is this mastermind? I'd consider sending my 365 Special to someone for modding.

Who is this mastermind? I'd consider sending my 365 Special to someone for modding.

http://mastermindsaws.com. Also google YouTube.

.....here is the 462 when it came back from mastermind. He does probably hundreds of saws a year, no race saws just work saw mods. It takes quite a while to get it back, but he is one of the best. There is many other good modders too....... Chain saws are fun.

Reactions: JimBear and Zack R

Have both of those here too. 261 and 462. The light weight of those saws are incredible. I always end with the 261:)

I just got my saw hot rodded, but haven't gotten to use it yet.

Reactions: lsucet
http://mastermindsaws.com. Also google YouTube.

.....here is the 462 when it came back from mastermind. He does probably hundreds of saws a year, no race saws just work saw mods. It takes quite a while to get it back, but he is one of the best. There is many other good modders too....... Chain saws are fun.

Randy builds a hell of a worksaw, I have several....

I just bought a 550xp mkII and like it alot, light lots of power.

My dad runs a 455 Rancher and has cut 4-5cords a year for the last 10 years and has only replaced the chain, it's a gas and go saw.
He also used to run a 35cc McCullough that was used for about 15 years before the rancher, it probably has cut 60 cords of wood and still runs.

Longevity seems to be as much in maintenance as brand and build quality, a well maintained saw lasts a long time.

I guess you need to decide whether you want a tool or a toy, a 455 is a tool, its heavier has a little less power but is very affordable and gets the job done. A 550xp is a like a toy it gets the work done with a smile on your face.

I bought a Husky 562xp this year and was impressed. I own a stihl 251 but it would not be fair to compare it to the husky. The 562 xp is a pro saw and cost 3x as much. I will say the auto tune in the husky is nice (as long as it continues to always work) and the aluminum handle is a big improvement over the plastic stihl handle. I may be wrong but husqvarna claims their saws cut 30% faster than a stihl. I own both and like both but prefer the husky. may not be a fair opinion because I don't own a pro stihl saw.

Stihl suggests only cutting a few cords of wood a year with their occasional use/ low end saws. A pro Saw can be run a lot harder.

My 462 cm and my 576xp are, I can say, a match. Still like more the husky and how smooth is in the cut. Using more the Stihl cause is a lighter weight between both. But the 261 cm is my favorite now a days.

Reactions: Sawset
Echo 501P is what I would go with. About $450 from the dealer. I got mine on Echo Dealer Days for 15% off this Spring so under $400 with the discount. Its 50cc, will run a 18 or 20" bar no problem and it is super light. I never use my 620p anymore since I got this one unless I am cutting something over 18" generally, which is crazy cause I love the power that the 620p offers. Echo makes great products and they are significantly cheaper than the Stihl equivalents. Not saying there is anything wrong with the Stihl stuff at all, its just more expensive.

StilhI'm a Dolmar fan ( makes me the odd person out) But I do have a 33or cc Echo and at the extreme other end a Stilh 084 ( only because I have never been able to latch on to a Dolmar in that cc range.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Echo 501P is what I would go with. About $450 from the dealer. I got mine on Echo Dealer Days for 15% off this Spring so under $400 with the discount. Its 50cc, will run a 18 or 20" bar no problem and it is super light. I never use my 620p anymore since I got this one unless I am cutting something over 18" generally, which is crazy cause I love the power that the 620p offers. Echo makes great products and they are significantly cheaper than the Stihl equivalents. Not saying there is anything wrong with the Stihl stuff at all, its just more expensive.
I almost got one of these. Very comparable to the MS261. I got approval to get a pro saw and wanted to use it the next day. Only place that was open at 7pm on a Friday evening was an Ace Hardware and they don't sell Echo :)

Reactions: Sppako3
I almost got one of these. Very comparable to the MS261. I got approval to get a pro saw and wanted to use it the next day. Only place that was open at 7pm on a Friday evening was an Ace Hardware and they don't sell Echo :)
Haha, I know the feeling. I’m a bit impulsive like that too.

The Stihl MS260 is worth looking for I just picked one up with a new piston and cylinder, 20" bar and has had regular servicing at a Stihl dealer for $ 300. I'm more than happy it's a wicked little saw. I'll post some info that convinced to me to go for the MS260.
StihlMS260Info1.jpg
StihlMS260Info1.jpg
StihlMS260Info2.jpg
ChainsawShelf5.JPG

Reactions: Sawset
I have a MS260 as well.. However It's in Canada @ my summer home..so it's not used so much , works great when I use it..@ Home I have a husky 350 it does what I want it to do...My 240 has had a ruff life ( Wife ran it over) Now I have a small eco to replace the 240 ( was my fathers , he's 87 ) .... all small and manageable saws.. My dream saw 272XP ….==c