Saw with really long bar!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I went out rust huntin' today and came back with a one man and 2 man crosscut saw! Guy was asking 20 apiece and I countered 30 for two. We agreed on $32 for both.

I know the rules about pics, so I snapped a few:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u124/EatenByLimestone/P4010026.jpg?t=1241898029

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u124/EatenByLimestone/P4010027.jpg?t=1241898102

The 2 man has an interesting way to hold on the handles. Most handles I've seen attach by the little holes on the ends. This saw is held on by a collar that goes around the whole blade.

Matt

fyrwoodguy said:
how would you like to cut your firewood with these puppies???......i would be OUT of the business i'm in , in a heartbeat....if i had to!

Hell I still have the one we used when I was a kid which is exactly the same as the one in the bottom picture. Boy was I glad when a chain saw came along!!

Yup. I've used both types. I started cutting the small stuff when I was about 6 years old. It took a while but I finally got the hang of it. Sadly, that then became one of my chores....

Nice score EBL...lets hope things never get so bad that you have to use them.

We had both of those on the old homestead but we never used them. I do remember using swede saws though and do remember when we got our first chainsaw and the buzzsaw. The chainsaw was broke most of the time so we used the buzzsaw the most. It was a bear to use as the logs had to be lifted up onto the sliding table and then advanced for every cut.

We dug out the stumps and felled and delimbed all the trees with axes as we were clearing land for farming.

fyrwoodguy said:
how would you like to cut your firewood with these puppies???......i would be OUT of the business i'm in , in a heartbeat....if i had to!

As a city slicker who loves most mod-cons and certainly power tools, I appreciate the "modern" methods too, and that's just for my own personal production. However, we have a big show in Sydney every year called the Royal Easter Show (livestock and produce show at its heart but with (crappy) carnival rides and (overpriced) confectionary showbags) where my favourite event is the wood chopping. Big blokes and not so big blokes hack away at logs in various formats - horizontal ground level, vertical "tree felling mode" and my favourite, the chop and prop horizontal steps into the vertical log until near the top and then chop the top off. Anyway a couple of years ago they had a demo of 2 blokes using a 2 man cross-cut saw versus a chainsaw dude to buck a log into 4 rounds. It was a "scratch race" so the rules were the gun went to start, the chainsaw guy had to put on Personal Protective Equipment and fill his saw with lube and fuel and then start it, whereas the other guys just picked up the saw and started sawing.

It was quite funny as the 2 man cross cut guys finished their three cuts before the chainsaw dude started :) Obviously they had a "head start" but wow they were fast!

So they had another contest, this one was as if they were coming back from a break, so the chainsaw was fueled and lubed and the chainsaw guy had his PPE on, only needing to start the saw. Yes the chainsaw guy won, but the 2 men cross-cutting made a real race of it, they were halfway through the first buck before the chainsaw commenced cutting. The 2 men sawing made heaps less mess than the chainsaw and of course it's "carbon neutral" and presumably less maintenance.

Anyway, I was really impressed with how efficient and fast those old-time methods could be :)

Backwoods Savage said:
Yup. I've used both types. I started cutting the small stuff when I was about 6 years old. It took a while but I finally got the hang of it. Sadly, that then became one of my chores....

I would be willing to bet however that you wouldn't take anything for those memories. I know I wouldn't for mine. It was hard work back then but today they are memories to share with the grandkids.

Status
Not open for further replies.