Saws with heated handles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well hopefully I won't have to resort to any terrorist punching or any punching for that matter today. I will carry my Logrite Pickaroon just in case. The weather is still brutally cold and was -10 degrees this morning when I ran the dogs. It's 9:30 am right now and has warmed up to about -4. It's supposed to get up to 10 in the afternoon.

All the rounds in those pictures are now split and I am out so I am going to try and get 2-3 loads today and a few more tomorrow since it is warming up now. The spot I am cutting is a half mile from my house, and the log landing is fairly level. This was logged in Aug./Sept. and the amount of cull wood left is outrageous and makes for pretty easy cutting. Nothing but logs.

Anyway, heated handles seem like a pretty good idea today.

Here is a picture of the log landing, I didn't get any other than this the cull piles but there is a bunch. The second and third picture is the loads I got in September when the guy on the forwarder would fill up my trailer. This took 3-4 minutes and I paid them off in apples from my orchard.

20i8dp4.jpg

64hvgi.jpg

zx1yl0.jpg

That looks like quite a load on the trailer... like the frame is sitting on the axle! I still have a dozen or so 4' chunks to cut to length and split, but I'd like to have a stack of logs like yours! I tried to convince my neighbor to go halves on a pulp truck load, but he ended up buying a tandem axle trailer load of 8' logs. We could have gotten a 7 cord truck load of oak for $55 a cord + a small delivery fee!

And, it's cold up here in Cable this morning too.... It would be a good day to try a saw with heated handles.

That looks like quite a load on the trailer... like the frame is sitting on the axle! I still have a dozen or so 4' chunks to cut to length and split, but I'd like to have a stack of logs like yours! I tried to convince my neighbor to go halves on a pulp truck load, but he ended up buying a tandem axle trailer load of 8' logs. We could have gotten a 7 cord truck load of oak for $55 a cord + a small delivery fee!

And, it's cold up here in Cable this morning too.... It would be a good day to try a saw with heated handles.

Yah it's more than the trailer should have, but there was a good 3/4" clearance from the fenders to the tires. I was only driving a half mile with that load. On the road, I wouldn't carry that much.

The price was reasonable on the trailer of wood, I bribed them with apples and soda. Some days I got 2 loads a day like this. I then cut it on the trailer containing most of the sawdust so I wouldn't make a mess in the yard and swept out when I got back to the landing.

Years ago we vacationed on lake Namakogen (Spelling?) by Cable, the big pastime was watching the bears at the dump.

That looks like quite a load on the trailer...

I'll 2nd that……

I believe you have the same 6'x10' trailer I have - except mine tilts and I think yours doesn't. I've well overloaded mine a few times too. Damn near wrecked me on the highway once because it was tail heavy by a few pounds, though it didn't look like it was. Pulled fine until I got up to 65, then it started whipping like a sun beach. Threw several chunks in the back toward the front once I got it stopped and then it pulled fine. Tandem axle trailers are worth far more than their additional cost for this reason only.

You never want to have negative tongue weight.

I've thought about getting a bigger heavier trailer but this one owes me nothing for the 20 years I have had it. Besides I can move it by hand and easily pull it around with the ATV and JD 2305 and I have a steep hill out back where I park it. The expanded metal gate is great for moving small equipment.

I also put the rear gate down and haul really big rounds I can't pick up. Here are some really big rounds I hauled by myself. A house was being developed right down the road from my house and they cut down a monster hickory. The construction guys were going to throw it in the dumpster and they said I could have it. The 372XPG came in real handy on wood like this. These rounds were in the 250-300 # class. For reference the Fiskars has a 36" handle. This tree made a full cord.

287lqft.jpg

2meu161.jpg

69gpdt.jpg

Get Rambo Kool_hand_Looke over there. He will scare them into splitting themselves. ;lol

My Husky 372XPG has heated handle and heated carb, both on a switch, which is good. I only use the heated handle as needed, work with the saw normally keeps the hand warm. And heat without batteries, magic.

My Husky 372XPG has heated handle and heated carb, both on a switch, which is good. I only use the heated handle as needed, work with the saw normally keeps the hand warm. And heat without batteries, magic.

My dealer has told me that the heated carb can cause the saw to run lean. He disconnects this feature as it isn't really necessary.

When I was at the saw shop yesterday I made a deal to trade my 562XP for a new 562XPG. The new model has a few internal upgrades along with software changes.

I also gave him my 346XP to do some porting work on it and wake it up._g

Anybody else sold on saws with heated handles?

At first I thought it was a frivolous luxury, now I will not buy another one without heated handles. I always wear extremely thin leather leather gloves for dexterity when running a saw and the heat facilitates it especially first thing in the morning before your blood gets pumping.

I just bought a used Stihl 026 Arctic. Heated grips and heated carb? Bought it from a buddy at a smokin price. Have not flipped the switch yet but have a couple days in the bush coming up in earlt Feb. I'll see if I notice anything.

Get Rambo Kool_hand_Looke over there. He will scare them into splitting themselves. ;lol
I'm no John Rambo or anything. Just a man that went above and beyond the call of duty in hopes I wouldn't have to bury more friends...and tell the wives lies about how it was fast and painless, he never saw it coming, etc.

On a lighter note, self splitting wood sounds like my kind of deal. Maybe Brother Barts "Professor X" intellect can whisper rounds into splitting themselves...and...stacking themselves.

Well my pusher, errr.........Dealer called and said they came in. So today I traded a one year old 562XP in for a brand new 562XPG. I cut about 25 full cord with the old one and it has performed well but I really regretted the handle not having heat.
169hhqe.jpg

2mwzcly.jpg

hvc8d0.jpg

While I was there, this cute little guy came home too. Should work great in the apple orchard in about a month.

24zj9dy.jpg

My dealer said this is the original bar.

2laeio1.jpg

35l6b1v.jpg

Nice looking saws, I like the little echo. My dealer never seems to have used saws, or maybe he just doesnt display them

Nice looking saws, I like the little echo. My dealer never seems to have used saws, or maybe he just doesnt display them

I am seeing that trend a lot more. Especially with the John Deere/Stihl stealerships. No used saws whatsoever.

I always asked if they have any junk Husky XP's out back.

I wish he did, cause I wouldn't mind a little top handle saw like you have there, but I don't want one bad enough to deal with Craigslist ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.