Saws with heated handles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewood Bandit

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2014
Western WIsconsin
Anybody else sold on saws with heated handles?

At first I thought it was a frivolous luxury, now I will not buy another one without heated handles. I always wear extremely thin leather leather gloves for dexterity when running a saw and the heat facilitates it especially first thing in the morning before your blood gets pumping.

Sounds like it would be nice in some real cold situations, but I don't think I'd pay extra for it. Of course, I'm not cutting for a living and can choose to either not cut or stop cutting if it gets really cold. Cheers!

We have a clearing job tomorrow and it's going to be 3 degrees according to the weather report. I would like our saws to have heated handles <>
Dang it. I remember back in the old days when you had to start a cold saw with a cold pull cord and a cold handle.

At first I thought it was a frivolous luxury, now I will not buy another one without heated handles. I always wear extremely thin leather leather gloves for dexterity when running a saw and the heat facilitates it especially first thing in the morning before your blood gets pumping.

All my saws have heated handles. Unfortunately, my hands are the heaters.

Reactions: D8Chumley
ill leave the heated handles for the ladys

I'd take it, and store it next to my purse. I'll admit it. I'll admit my heated coat, heated insoles, and heated bibs. Gladly.

Just like I'll take a cablen rental over a tent when we go "camping."

Or my 78 degree open floor house in the winter.

I'd be wiling to try them. Heated grips on motorcycles can extend my riding season. Heated grips on a saw might make it easier to extend my time outside. Older hands with grip strength/arthritis issues would sure appreciate a warm grip in winter.. I really don't think they're deserving of some of the negative comments. It's not like all of us on here are in our 30's......

I would be afraid my hands would start sweating and lose grip on the saw. I was cutting over the weekend, weather was in th high 20s and I was in a t-shirt!

Reactions: WriteNoob
I suspect some folks were skeptical when heated grips and thumb throttles for sleds came along . . . I mean why would anyone need those -- you're already wearing gloves, right? Nowadays, just about every sled comes with heated grips.

I'd be wiling to try them. Heated grips on motorcycles can extend my riding season. Heated grips on a saw might make it easier to extend my time outside. Older hands with grip strength/arthritis issues would sure appreciate a warm grip in winter.. I really don't think they're deserving of some of the negative comments. It's not like all of us on here are in our 30's......

One of my buddies who logs has nerve damage in his hands and the heated handles help a lot. I find the vibration is much more tolerable with the heated handles. The heat helps a bunch too if your gloves are wet. The handles on my 550XPG get so hot that you really can't handle it without gloves on. My other buddy who is a level C feller, (he has worked forest fires for over 20 years out West and in Canada),
and who I do occasional tree jobs with is also sold on the heated handles.

I am retired and cut firewood for exercise and a pastime. What else is someone going to do in Wisconsin when I can't work in my orchard, mow my 3.5 acres, heck even the golf courses are closed? I will sell this next year after it seasons and it makes the day go quickly and give one a feeling of accomplishment. Granted I own more high end saws than I need but the firewood paid for them anyway so I don't have anything invested.

I use my saws more than probably most as I enjoy it. I like high quality tools and don't buy junk. When I did drink, I didn't drink cheap beer either.

Here is my wood progress since September. All was cut with the exception of a cord of seasoned wood in the middle for my garage.

35idcia.jpg

149t8c5.jpg

15xmzbr.jpg

Obligatory dog pics. Yatt and Kade

svnb43.jpg

kdvmf5.jpg

Got to go, the dogs are by the door for their morning run. It's -13 today, brrrr...

Reactions: Bluezx636
I suspect some folks were skeptical when heated grips and thumb throttles for sleds came along . . . I mean why would anyone need those -- you're already wearing gloves, right? Nowadays, just about every sled comes with heated grips.

Howdy Firefighter Jake,:)

I agree, it's very similar to the analogy you made. The next big thing with sleds and ATV's is electric power steering. I just bought a Yamaha Grizzly 700 and got power steering. This is going to become common place now. What the power steering does is not so much make steering easier (which it does) but stops the shock that is transmitted when the skis or tires hit things and transmit this through the steering column to the arms/shoulders. At the end of the day you don't have that "spaghetti" feeling in the shoulders.

The logger I just mentioned bought a new 562XPG a couple weeks ago at my dealer. (The G means heat). He had to get a full wrap handle in order to get it right away, the conventional wrap were 2 months out on backorder. Around here, most of the XP saws are being ordered with heat. People who use saws every day are very fond of the feature.

Pass - I've never been cold while running a chainsaw

I found a few pics from 3 manufacturers...

zz1.JPG
zz3.JPG
zz4.JPG

Getting too hot shouldn't be a problem, you can always shut off the heat.

Reactions: Smoke Stack
I found a few pics from 3 manufacturers...

Getting too hot shouldn't be a problem, you can always shut off the heat.

Here is a better pic.

The one on the left has heat.

o8disn.jpg

The top one has heat. Sorry the Huskys are hanging out with a beater saw.;)

s2xu7l.jpg

Speaking of gadgets, these log tongs are great if you are dealing with rounds smaller than 12". They keep your gloves out of the snow and you can carry two at once. It is like putting a handle on a round of wood.

2edb5s3.jpg

Log tongs are on the short list. Cheers!

Log tongs are on the short list. Cheers!

You'll love'em. Get the 12" though, the bigger ones can pick up small things, the small ones can't pick up big things.

A 30" aluminum hookeroon/pickaroon is mighty handy too.

You'll love'em. Get the 12" though, the bigger ones can pick up small things, the small ones can't pick up big things.

A 30" aluminum hookeroon/pickaroon is mighty handy too.

I do have a good pickaroon and really like it - especially for getting wood from the front of the truck bed. Cheers!

I'd take it, and store it next to my purse. I'll admit it. I'll admit my heated coat, heated insoles, and heated bibs. Gladly.

Just like I'll take a cablen rental over a tent when we go "camping."

Or my 78 degree open floor house in the winter.
You know what the problem with all the heated stuff you have is it's dependent on battery's.Real life situation up here you don't have unlimited battery's.When the battery's run out ,will whats left keep your A$$ alive in some extreme cold till someone comes to save you???
I can go out at - 50'sC and still keep warm and work without battery's,knowing my warmth doesn't have an expiry time.
Thomas

You know what the problem with all the heated stuff you have is it's dependent on battery's.Real life situation up here you don't have unlimited battery's.When the battery's run out ,will whats left keep your A$$ alive in some extreme cold till someone comes to save you???
I can go out at - 50'sC and still keep warm and work without battery's,knowing my warmth doesn't have an expiry time.
Thomas
Well, Thomas, I've punched terrorists in the face...and neck...in the cold @$$ mountains of Afghanistan. Twice. I've done JTFX in Alaska, worked at Greenscreek, and I've been in 135℉ sustained for months punching more terrorists in the throat. Maybe...I've busted my as as a iron worker in the hot sun post heating my welds with an 1100° rosebud, while usng a heat blanket but I'll keep my house 67 degrees in 100 ambient all day long. Maybe, I'll take my comfort where I can get it. Maybe I've earned a few stripes along my warped soul and bent mind journey and deserve a day off, to put my feet up, rest my bones beside the fire.

I know exactly how to maintain my life in the elements. Hells bells, I BECAME the elements that rained the fury of a 1000 suns on cave Rambos.

I think I'll go plug my socks in now.

Last edited:
Well, Thomas, I've punched terrorists in the face...and neck...in the cold ass mountains of Afghanistan. Twice. I've done JTFX in Alaska, worked at Greenscreek, and I've been in 135℉ sustained for months punching more terrorists in the throat. Maybe...I've busted my as as a iron worker in the hot sun post heating my welds with an 1100° rosebud, while usng a heat blanket but I'll keep my house 67 degrees in 100 ambient all day long. Maybe, I'll take my comfort where I can get it. Maybe I've earned a few stripes along my warped soul and bent mind journey and deserve a day off, to put my feet up, rest my bones beside the fire.

I know exactly how to maintain my life in the elements. Hells bells, I BECAME the elements that rained the fury of a 1000 suns on cave Rambos.

I think I'll go plug my socks in now.

Post of the year ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.