Say hello to the noobie, pay $1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quadzillabill

Dec 19, 2008
Mid-Michigan
Alright, skip the buck. I'm sure I'll get that much knowledge out of you.

Newly registered, but not new to the site as I've been around for a couple months reading. Looks like a great crew.

I grew up with a Black Bart insert heating much of the old farm house that I lived in and moved out of 25 years ago. Last year I yanked the horrible gas log out of my new house's fireplace (I had only turned it on a handful of times in the first year we lived here - such a wasteful device) and got a couple cords of red oak delivered. Nice. So this season I'm burning a fire much more often after breaking my wife in on the idea that it was ok to smell the beautiful wood fire. Cuts down on her potpourri costs. :)

We've got a 10 year-old Majestic WarmMajic fireplace with a blower/heat circulator built in that they claim gives of 35k btu. I'm not so sure about that, but it does help keep the house more comfortable and downright toasty in that room. It sure doesn't burn very efficiently, though. I've got outside combustion air and am dabbling with the damper to come up with the right fit to keep it burning but not too fast. It likes to burn fast. If you have experience with this unit, I'd love to hear about it.

Finally, I'm remodeling my basement and plan to install a wood stove there to provide supplemental heat for the entire 2400 sq ft house and 1600 sq ft basement. I have the ability to exit out my poured basement wall and then run an exposed external chimney up the back wall where its not really an eyesore - so my setup is pretty good. Problem is, I have no idea where to start with regards to stoves. I saw a used Regency 2400 for sale locally and it sure sounds like a nice unit - but the guy wants $1000 for it and its 3 years old. If I could get a stove that I could load up and burn for 8-10 hours, it would significantly cut my heating costs and I could justify building up my own woodpile along with a buddy - we've got access to some big areas with a lot of deadfalls to be had.

Again, glad to be here and I look forward to learning a lot on the site.

Bill

Welcome Bill. If that Regency is in great shape, that's not that bad a deal. How would the heat get from the basement to the rest of the house? Is there a large open staircase near the stove location? Also, can we assume that a super job is going to be done sealing up the sill and insulating the walls and rim joists? That will make a big difference.

If the heat has an easy way of getting upstairs, then you might want to consider a new Englander 30 NC. They sell for about $1000 new and are a bigger stove (3 cu ft).

BeGreen said:
Welcome Bill. If that Regency is in great shape, that's not that bad a deal. How would the heat get from the basement to the rest of the house? Is there a large open staircase near the stove location? Also, can we assume that a super job is going to be done sealing up the sill and insulating the walls and rim joists? That will make a big difference.

If the heat has an easy way of getting upstairs, then you might want to consider a new Englander 30 NC. They sell for about $1000 new and are a bigger stove (3 cu ft).

My thought was to try and utilize the cold air return. Maybe add a large vent in the main run in the basement near the stove so that heat could find its way up. I'd want to option of easily/quickly closing that off so the heating system could run in balance when not using the stove....

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I strongly suggest not modifying the heating system. Also note that the return air grille must be at least 10 feet away from the stove. If you cut a hole(s) in the floor it (they) will need a fire damper(s) with fusible links.

As you've likely read by now, a wood stove is an area heater. Based on the basement load only, the Regency is a good fit.

BeGreen said:
I strongly suggest not modifying the heating system. Also note that the return air grille must be at least 10 feet away from the stove. If you cut a hole(s) in the floor it (they) will need a fire damper(s) with fusible links.

As you've likely read by now, a wood stove is an area heater. Based on the basement load only, the Regency is a good fit.

Thanks, I appreciate that advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.