Scan Anderson 10 with Soap Stone - How to Measure the Temperature?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WDSmith485

Dec 28, 2013
New Hampshire
I have a new Scan Anderson 10 with Soapstone on the sides (in lieu of the metal side slabs) and a slab on the top.
The top slab just sits on the top of the stove and the pipe goes through it. The stove pipe is a double insulated pipe going straight up.

My question is how and where do I measure the stove temperature?

A thermometer for soapstone set on the top will read but I am afraid it would be inaccurate because of the 2 layers (and perhaps an air gap in between).
I could use a magnetic stove thermometer - but where to mount it? On the side of the door?

I have used and IR thermometer with laser, and took readings on the door and on the back top rounded metal stove top edge between the soapstone and the back shield.
Also, I am uncertain what "normal" high temperature to reach. I have recorded with the IR thermometer up to max of 325F on the door and close to 430F on the rear edge.

I welcome your recommendations and thank you in advance.

Well, the first question is why you really need to measure the temp! My answer would only be "in a relative fashion", so you would know how the stove acted once you had experience...as opposed to comparing it with anything.

On similar stoves I have used a cast single-wall part of the door to mount a magnetic thermometer. That's probably where I would put it - off to the right or left side of the door top.

I put my magnetic thermometer on the cast iron top about 2 inches from where the flue pipe comes out of the top of the stove. FYI, it is my understanding that the PH has about 2 inches of soapstone around the inside of the stove other than the glass front. I also use an IR thermometer to check flue temps as well as other areas around the stove. I normally try to keep the stove between 400 - 450 degrees where the magnetic thermometer is located. I don't think I have ever gotten the stove about 600 degrees. Hope this helps.....

I have a cast A-10. Right now it is cruising right at 500 according to the Rutland placed at the 3:00 position 3" from the flue as viewed standing in front of the stove. The primary air is about 1/4 open and the secondaries are going like crazy.

I took various readings around the flue with a Harbor Freight type IR gun.
12:00 is 522
3:00 is 496
6:00 is 375
9:00 is 430

Door temp.
left upper 330
center top 450
right upper is 375

I don't think you have anything to worry about running at the temps you are at now, if anything you can push it up more. My stove likes to run at 500.

Status
Not open for further replies.