SCAN DSA 4 install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pva974

Jun 20, 2022
Seattle
Hi everyone, new here and have some questions on a stove I just bought. It is a never-used, well-kept SCAN DSA 4 wood insert. I am planning on installing it in my existing, good condition masonry fire place. It is approximately 15 feet. I have read the manual -

- and believe I can follow the standard procedures for installing from the insert up through to the top of the chimney. Here are my questions:

1) I understand this is a high efficiency / high heat model stove. I want to know if anyone who has the stove/has experience with the stove has a specific recommendation for what flue liner to use. I am thinking of a standard 316 flex steel kit which comes with a connector and insulated high temp liner.

2) Is it ok to use the universal connector that comes with this kit? I also noticed there is an oem flue collar available for this unit. Do I need to purchase the flue collar or is the connector all I need?

3) I have a tile hearth which extends out 18" from the face of the fireplace. I plan to raise insert approximately 3" from the floor of the hearth. The instructions recommend 1/2" mineral fiber protection extending 24". Can I use the tiling or do I need mineral fiber replacing it? Can I use the existing 18" and still be safe enough (6" shy of the 24" required).

Thanks for anybody who can help with this project!

Pete

Hi everyone, new here and have some questions on a stove I just bought. It is a never-used, well-kept SCAN DSA 4 wood insert. I am planning on installing it in my existing, good condition masonry fire place. It is approximately 15 feet. I have read the manual -

- and believe I can follow the standard procedures for installing from the insert up through to the top of the chimney. Here are my questions:

1) I understand this is a high efficiency / high heat model stove. I want to know if anyone who has the stove/has experience with the stove has a specific recommendation for what flue liner to use. I am thinking of a standard 316 flex steel kit which comes with a connector and insulated high temp liner.

2) Is it ok to use the universal connector that comes with this kit? I also noticed there is an oem flue collar available for this unit. Do I need to purchase the flue collar or is the connector all I need?

3) I have a tile hearth which extends out 18" from the face of the fireplace. I plan to raise insert approximately 3" from the floor of the hearth. The instructions recommend 1/2" mineral fiber protection extending 24". Can I use the tiling or do I need mineral fiber replacing it? Can I use the existing 18" and still be safe enough (6" shy of the 24" required).

Thanks for anybody who can help with this project!

Pete
Those things in the manual are not suggestions. They are safety requirements determined by testing the appliance. You need to follow them as an absolute minimum requirement

Is the hearth flush with the floor or raised? Can you post some pictures of the current fireplace including the hearth? It looks like the insert has a special flue collar that can be secured from the inside of the insert. This makes it easier to install, especially if the fit is tight.

D1E44784-42DB-450C-9408-615F3E688231.jpeg
69A0CF83-94B9-4828-B0C3-4631CB4B8C13.jpeg

The stoveparts unlimited collar appears correct. Yes, use a good quality insulated flex liner for the installation. Make sure clearances to the mantel honor those specified in the manual.
Is there a basement or crawlspace that would permit inspecting under the current hearth extension? If it is a proper hearth extension consisting of at least 8" of masonry or concrete with no wood underneath, then the mineral board may not be necessary.

Early Scan 10 stoves had a recall due to the door coming off the hinges. It was only for a certain range of serial numbers. This issue may not affect the insert, but this would be worth checking on.