Score! Red Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Scored some red oak mill pieces from sawmill today. Should burn good in OWB. Anyone else burn mill ends?
20170505_172732.jpg
20170505_172738.jpg

Yes I had a dump truck load delivered by a local lumber company a couple years ago. Was quite a wait (several months) till they filled my order as they deliver throughout west central Ohio. My load consisted of all sizes from kindling to good size pieces. I actually just carried several armloads in today to burn over the next couple days. Supposed to be 32 degrees here Sunday night. Quite cold for the month of May in Ohio.

sawmill-ends.jpg

Yes I had a dump truck load delivered by a local lumber company a couple years ago. Was quite a wait (several months) till they filled my order as they deliver throughout west central Ohio. My load consisted of all sizes from kindling to good size pieces. I actually just carried several armloads in today to burn over the next couple days. Supposed to be 32 degrees here Sunday night. Quite cold for the month of May in Ohio.

View attachment 197303
Wow! That's a good size load. How long did that last you?

Been mixing it in with firewood that I cut the last two winters. Still have some left for next year. Would order another load but have so much I can cut for free in neighbors woods.

Scored some red oak mill pieces from sawmill today. Should burn good in OWB. Anyone else burn mill ends?View attachment 197300 View attachment 197301

Back in the day ,I would get this load about 2500 to 2700 lb load for 15$ this went on till about 2007 when the price skyrocketed and priced me out. No worries ,I have access to 200 acres of hardwoods right across the street from me.As well as my own acreage. But the stuff sure was sweet shown here is my 2003 Taco with a massive load of hickory.
hick.jpg

Nice! You can stack that in the stove flat for long all nighters. I like red oak but takes forever to season. I don't turn it down though.