Scored a free Lopi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bob95065

Burning Hunk
Aug 13, 2013
Felton, CA
I answered an ad for a free Lopi. The ad said it was a Liberty. They were moving, intended to put it in the house and never did. I made arrangements to be there at 0600 last Friday.

That night I got a text. The stove wasn't a Liberty - it was a Freedom. They asked me if I was still interested. Oh yeah I was! I got there at 0600. The previous owner helped me load a Lopi Freedom with a solid brass door and surround on my friend's truck for free. The stove spent most of it's life in a garage.

I looked for months for a stove for my friend. He needs an insert for his house. He had a pre-EPA stove that he was working on. I think this Freedom is a better choice. It is ready to install.

This is the second Lopi Freedom I got for free in a year. The one I put in my house was a basket case. I restored it last summer and now use it to heat my house. It didn't come with a surround but I did get a liner with that one.

I know this post is useless without pictures. I'll take some when I help my friend install the Freedom in his house.

That sounds like a great score. You friend is a lucky fellow. Kudos to you for helping out.

I spent all summer restoring a Lopi Freedom that I picked up for free about a year ago. My stove was abused and neglected. It was a shame what the PO did to it. Check it out here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/lopi-freedom-cracks-in-firebox-and-rusted-damper.161472/

The stove we got last week was almost turn-key. There was a little rust that will get ground off and the stove will get painted so it looks nice but it could be put in the house the way it is.

We really like our Freedom stove. It lights easily and heats up the house fast. It will take a 18" log no problem. It is a beast.

We used a Freedom in our last house before converting to a gas insert. It did fabulous!
We currently have a Freedom Bay I found on the marketplace for $200!