Scored a load of Locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
IMG_0784.jpg
iIMG_0784.jpg

Looks like a good load. I just cut down two of those thorny bastards at my neighbor's property and got a full cord of the stuff. Never burned it though. It seemed soft to cut up, like pine. I figure I'd give it a try next season. Have you burned it before?

This is black locust...no thorns!! It is quite dense, burns a long time. Tough to get started but burns a long time.

Reactions: GadDummit
The black locust I have cut always have thorn on the limbs. Is there a species that is genetically thorn free? I know honey locust is like that.

If your locust seemed "easy to cut up, like pine" then is isn't locust. Locust is harder than oak and even harder than hickory.

Oh what I got did not cut like Pine!!!

If your locust seemed "easy to cut up, like pine" then is isn't locust. Locust is harder than oak and even harder than hickory.
If it wasn't locust, it was his twin brother. Tiny little leaves, 50 ft tall, thorns on the branches. 2 1/2 feet in diameter. Tiny white flowers all over it for about 2 weeks that smelled kinda like honeysuckle.

Reactions: Lakeside
If your saw is running well and the chain is sharp.....I found it cut pretty well.

Some talk about black locust dulling chains quickly, and being difficult to cut. I never found that to be the case. Till this spring. One log was left over from several years ago. About 5 cuts later, I kept looking at the saw, thinking and wondering what was up. Thing was cutting barely at all. It dulled that quick. Wasn't dirt, bark, etc, just dry and very hard wood.

Yes ......The load I cut up was just taken down. Very green. Older dryer equals harder!!!