Scored a load of Locust

GadDummit

Burning Hunk
May 27, 2017
Oklahoma
Looks like a good load. I just cut down two of those thorny bastards at my neighbor's property and got a full cord of the stuff. Never burned it though. It seemed soft to cut up, like pine. I figure I'd give it a try next season. Have you burned it before?

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
This is black locust...no thorns!! It is quite dense, burns a long time. Tough to get started but burns a long time.

Reactions: GadDummit

mrd1995

Feb 21, 2020
North East, Pa
The black locust I have cut always have thorn on the limbs. Is there a species that is genetically thorn free? I know honey locust is like that.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
If your locust seemed "easy to cut up, like pine" then is isn't locust. Locust is harder than oak and even harder than hickory.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
Oh what I got did not cut like Pine!!!

GadDummit

Burning Hunk
May 27, 2017
Oklahoma
If your locust seemed "easy to cut up, like pine" then is isn't locust. Locust is harder than oak and even harder than hickory.
If it wasn't locust, it was his twin brother. Tiny little leaves, 50 ft tall, thorns on the branches. 2 1/2 feet in diameter. Tiny white flowers all over it for about 2 weeks that smelled kinda like honeysuckle.

Reactions: Lakeside

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
If your saw is running well and the chain is sharp.....I found it cut pretty well.

Sawset

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2015
Palmyra, WI
Some talk about black locust dulling chains quickly, and being difficult to cut. I never found that to be the case. Till this spring. One log was left over from several years ago. About 5 cuts later, I kept looking at the saw, thinking and wondering what was up. Thing was cutting barely at all. It dulled that quick. Wasn't dirt, bark, etc, just dry and very hard wood.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
Yes ......The load I cut up was just taken down. Very green. Older dryer equals harder!!!