Scored!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Went over to a neighbor of a friend of my father's (got that?) today to pick up a few peices of mulberry they had laying there...and went to pick up a few peices of cherry they had cut down....Was a 20" x 60' tree laying in the brush. Damm!!! that's gotta be 1/2 a cord or so. So I cut it into 14" long rounds and stacked it. (0.5 miles from work) So, I'll go pick up the peices at lunch...(as if I get time for lunch where I work) over the next week or so)

yeee haaaa, Yes, the summer scrounge IS on. Probably another 1/2 cord at my parents neighbor, Maple and Apple.
and another full cord of elm at another place I know of. With 7 cords in the yard split and stacked I think I good to go for next year plus....Now I just have to get that dammed oak in the back yard down.

oh, and by the way...going into the 30's tonight...the stove is going as I type this....burning mulberry and a few chunks of coal from my inlaws neighborhood...must be 80 in here!!!! The Os is like an old friend!!!!

As I remember your backhoe guy was going to drop that tree what happened? did he chicken out or was it beyond the machine's capabilities or operator's

I see you are like me never have enough wood always room to get more

LOL Elk...He never stopped by to help/give a quote/etc... most contractors are seriously unreliable...even if they ARE a friend of my wifes.

sigh.... what to do...what to do....

Want to come over and help?

Free beer and steaks to the free labor!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dump in my area has YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGE wood but I need a 30" bar to get it in the truck
I may scrounge there next week, some is manageable

I got some of the cherry home last night to start splitting. I measurea one of the rounds at 18" Sure is heavy. As long as I hit it hard, it mostly split in one shot. I just hope it's ready for next burn season. Seems a bit optimistic, but I'll see.

Be interesting to get a relative read on the seasoning times of different woods. Granted one persons wood may take less time than anothers due to stacking technique, sun, wind, etc... but I'd imagine some woods dry faster than others. Any one care to take a stab?

I just found out from a co worker that his friend is clearing 2.5 acres of all HICKORY by sunday and he is just going to burn it in a big pile!!! Its an hour away in N.C. but I'm going to try to at least get one heaping truckload!!

Warren said:
I got some of the cherry home last night to start splitting. I measurea one of the rounds at 18" Sure is heavy. As long as I hit it hard, it mostly split in one shot. I just hope it's ready for next burn season. Seems a bit optimistic, but I'll see.

Be interesting to get a relative read on the seasoning times of different woods. Granted one persons wood may take less time than anothers due to stacking technique, sun, wind, etc... but I'd imagine some woods dry faster than others. Any one care to take a stab?

I love splitting cherry, usually very easy. If you need it for next year, crisscross it as you stack. takes up more room but it will be ready next year. i have 4 cords split, so anything i split now will go to the back of the queue, meaning it will be the last stuff i burn or it gets heldover to the following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.